Chapter 7

"Who?" I say.

Cupid exhales beside me; stood statuesque amid the chattering and dancing that's going on around us. Charlie leans across the table toward us, pink drink forgotten, her brown eyes a mixture of curiosity and concern.

"Someone from our past," he says.

I glance at Cal. His eyes are fixed on Cupid's face. His jawline is hard and I see the tension in his slender body.

Cupid sighs then brings his gaze back to Cal, "I'll go tonight, brother. I can count on you...?"

Cal nods stiffly.

"I will look after Lila," says Cal.

"Woah, woah, woah," I say, raising my hands. "I don't need looking after."

They both turn to me at the same time – eyes serious.

"Yes, you do," they say.

I cross my arms to my chest.

"I can look after myself," I say.

Cupid turns to me. He pulls a face, cocking his head to the side.

"Well...yeah...kinda..." he says.

"Hey! Don't say it like that!"

He looks into my eyes and gently puts his hands on my shoulders. A kind smile spreads onto his face.

"I know," he says. "But if we're dealing with...who we think we may be dealing with– you need a cupid around. I'd rather it was me, but in the circumstances..."

Charlie clears her throat across the table. She smiles brightly, cocking her head to the side.

"I'm a cupid."

Cal flashes her a cool look.

"Well, I'm an original cupid," he says.

She arches a black eyebrow at him.

"It's not a competition..."

Cupid doesn't move his ocean eyes from mine – they reflect the deep pink lights of the Love Shack.

"Who are you both talking about?" I say. "What's going on? You need to go somewhere?"

He gestures toward the door with his head.

"Come outside a minute – we'll talk before I leave."

I hesitate, share a look with Charlie, then I push myself up off the stool. Cupid fires a look at Cal, passion burning behind his eyes.

"Keep her safe."

He nods stiffly. Beside him Charlie slides one of the bright pink mocktails in front of him, which he momentarily surveys with horror, before looking back at us. I feel his eyes bearing into the back of us as Cupid leads me across the sticky floor.