Chapter 47

"I'm meeting Sarah again after work tonight." Dad makes me jump as he pops his head around the kitchen door. "That OK?"

I grab my slice of toast and turn to look at him. He's looking a little flustered – his black hair messy and his shirt a little creased – probably running late for work.

"Huh?" I say. "Um... yeah."

He frowns, giving me a kind of 'knowing dad' look.

"Everything OK?" he says, "You look a little distracted."

I'm part of a plan to capture an ancient zombie rising cupid who is planning to break the barrier between the living and the dead to bring back an Ancient goddess...

"Oh, yeah. Sure," I say – giving him my brightest smile. "Fine. Just a bit tired."

He tilts his head to the side a little, furrowing his dark brows.

"You sure you're OK?"

"Yup."

He returns my smile.

"OK, good," he says. He pauses. "So, you're OK about me seeing Sarah again, tonight?"

"Yep, sure. I'm actually going to a school dance tonight," I say. "A cupid themed one. I'll probably stay at Charlie's after."

He nods.

"OK. Just let me know when you're at Charlie's, yeah?"

"Sure."

He smiles.

"Have fun, and don't get into too much trouble."

He heads back into the corridor and I wait until I hear the front door shut before replying.

"I can't promise anything..."

***

Charlie and I head to the gym after lunch. We, along with the rest of the social committee, have managed to get the rest of the afternoon off to set up the dance. I'm glad. I've not been able to concentrate all morning. My stomach is a jumble of nerves.

Tonight, we face Valentine.

"I've heard that the football team actually are all dressing as giant winged babies..." says Charlie as we approach the double doors. "I'm so excited to see the look on Cal's face!"

I can't help but laugh at the gleeful twinkle in her brown eyes.

But as soon as we enter the gym the smile drops from my face. I can't help but recall the last time I was in here – Cupid unconscious by the wall, Valentine's shocking blue eyes baring into me, and the hands of the undead, clawing at me as they tried to take me to him.

I have to face him again. Tonight.

I look around, trying to distract myself.

It looks completely different than usual – instead of shadowy, deserted, and gray it is filled with people and color. A couple of girls are setting up the speakers, Ben, a guy from my science class, is hanging a banner reading Cupid dance in bright pink letters, and Kelly and a group of her friends are sticking paper hearts with love notes scribbled across them onto the walls.