Chapter 44

I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling.

I should be worried. I should be wondering what Crystal is telling Cupid and Cal right now about Charon.

And I am wondering. A bit, anyway...

But mostly I'm just trying to fight the grin that keeps threatening to spread across my face as my mind goes over what just happened.

You're my girlfriend, right?

Yes.

Warmth spreads through my body. After spending the past weeks in some weird kind of dance, not speaking about what we mean to each other, we've finally said it. We've finally spoken about what's been on our minds.

I look to one side of me – my stuffed bunny sits on the dark pink pillow. My grin spreads as I remember Cupid teasing me about him that night he stayed over.

I wish he was here now.

My grin falters as I think about what he told me – about the girl from his past. There are so many things I should have asked him before I was distracted by his mouth on mine. Who was she? Where is she now? And why did Crystal seem so concerned about her?

But even now, the mere memory of his lips moving against mine sends heat flooding through my body and consumes my thoughts. I rub my face, bring myself back to reality, and I turn on my side to look at my bedside table. My cell phone sits on its surface.

Cupid said Crystal had interpreted the Morse code on Charon's computer. He should be in touch soon to let me know what it said.

I stare at it for a while, though my thoughts are elsewhere. Finally, it buzzes.

Hurriedly I jolt upright, swipe if off the table, and open the message on the screen.

Lovebug, I'm forwarding you an email.

This isn't good...

Cupid.

I frown, my heart starting to beat fast. I pull my laptop from under my bed, open my emails, and find the one from Cupid.

Transcript from the Ferry Log is written in the subject line.

I click it and read the text on the screen.

October 14.

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

The ferry has been overrun!

Forgive me!

I frown and look at the next instalments.

November 19

Mayday! Mayday! Mayday!

They have turned the ferry around. I have been taken captive.