Chapter 13

More cupids missing?

The worry, curling its way around my heart, tightens. I know that Cupid cannot be killed – but he can be hurt, trapped, tortured.

Why hasn't he texted me?

What if this Valentine guy is behind all this? What if he's hurt Cupid as well?

I glance up at Cal who has a dark look on his face, then at Crystal who looks equally worried

"Valen...?"

"They might not be related," interjects Cal, preventing me from speaking. "If you need me - Lila and I will be training."

He puts a hand on my shoulder and gives me a warning squeeze. I glance at him.

Is he trying to stop me from mentioning Valentine?

He steers me around Mino and through the bright white reception area.

"See you both around," drawls Mino as we pass – humor brimming in his dark eyes.

We head into the noisy open plan office area, Cal a couple of steps ahead of me, and weave around the desks, Matchmaking Agents, and black, temple like columns.

"What the hell was that all about?" I hurry into step beside him.

We enter the serene, indoor courtyard and Cal stops beside the small pond – the water so still it reflects the clouds through the domed skylight above. The air smells musty and sweet as I breathe it in - it reminds me of a museum that my mom used to take me to as a child. That feels a million years ago now.

Cal glances at the spot where Venus used to stand as I come to stand beside him.

I look up at him and I can see the strain in his face; I see it in the smudges under his eyes, the sharpness of his jaw, the tension in his arms through his white, long sleeved top.

"I don't want to worry them – not until we know for sure," he glances back at me – worry behind his eyes. "I told the Matchmaking Service Valentine was dead a long time ago."

"Why?"

"Cupid told me he was."

His jaw clenches.

"Surely it's better just to tell them he isn't. Crystal would understand."

He purses his lips.

"No, she wouldn't. And you don't understand either," he says sharply. "You saw what happened when the Matchmaking Service knew Cupid was coming back. Valentine...Valentine is worse."

"Worse than your brother? Those are damning words indeed coming from you...!" I say.

His silver eyes flash furiously.