Chapter 43

When we arrive back at the Cupids Matchmaking Service, Crystal is waiting for us in the reception area sat on the white stone desk

When we arrive back at the Cupids Matchmaking Service, Crystal is waiting for us in the reception area sat on the white stone desk. She jumps down as the bell hanging by the door tinkles– her sharp blue eyes sliding from me and Cal, onto the laptop tucked under Cupid's Arm.

"You interpreted the code yet?" says Cal abruptly before she can speak.

She frowns; a slight crease forming in her forehead. Her shoulders stiffen.

"Give me chance..." she says.

He breathes sharply out of his nose. Crystal closes her eyes for a moment as though mentally counting to ten. When she opens them again I can see the weariness behind them. She brushes a strand of blonde hair out of her face.

"I have someone working on it," she says to him evenly as though speaking to a small child.

Cal nods brusquely then strides toward the glass panel door to the office.

"I'll be in the combat training room if I'm needed," he says without looking at anyone.

Crystal watches him, a sad look in her eyes. Cupid's lip tugs upward.

"That's one grumpy guy..." he says as Cal disappears from view.

"Oh, give him a break," says Crystal – her blue eyes sharpening as they fix on Cupid's face. "Valentine has his life thread."

As Cupid's eyes remain on her face, amusement blazing behind them, Crystal's cheeks flush a rose pink and she looks away - suddenly finding the white button on the cuff of her suit jacket incredibly interesting.

"Just let him deal how he wants to deal," she says as Cupid's eyes remain on her, a smirk on his face. "That's all I'm saying..." She exhales heavily then fixes her gaze on Cupid. "Look, just give me the laptop. I should get someone to examine it."

His grin widens but he passes it over her. She gives him a look then snatches it from his hands.

"Yes, boss," he says.

She narrows her eyes.

"I'm not your boss, you don't work here," she says.

He shrugs.

There's an award silence a moment, then Crystal meets Cupid's gaze.

"Have you thought anymore about what we were talking about before. We need to find out where she..."

"No," says Cupid – his expression darkening.

I look between the two curiously.

"What?" I say.

Crystal sighs and shakes her head.

"Nothing. Just someone...something from the past."

I narrow my eyes. Both have closed expressions on their faces. I can see I'll get nothing out of them now, but I vow to question Cupid as soon as we're alone.