Chapter 8

I think I should feel scared, or worried, or something. But all I feel is Cupid's body heat, washing over me as he steps closer so our bodies are touching. I can feel the hardness of his stomach muscles through his white top.

I can't get distracted though; not by his eyes, or the way his chest is rising and falling with each heavy breath. I need to focus on what he just said. 

It's Valentine isn't it? Then we're in trouble...  

I compose myself.

Focus, Lila.

I step backwards slightly and he sighs.

"I should go," he says. "I need to deal with this."

Disappointment swells inside me. Disappointment that he's leaving. Disappointment that he isn't kissing me right now. He said earlier that I was the one holding back – and I know that is kind of true. But he is doing the same – I can tell.

It's hard sometimes, to let people in, his words repeat in my mind.

"And...I hate to say this," he adds, breaking through my thoughts, "but stay close to my brother. Charlie, too. You should continue with your training while I'm gone. If this is Valentine – I don't want you alone. He's dangerous. And unpredictable. He'll have something planned – something big – and if it involves you..."

I feel him tense below my touch – the muscles in his arm clenching below my fingers. Anger flashes behind his eyes. He takes a step away from me – creating an even bigger distance between us – and grabs my shoulders.

"You'll be careful. Promise me."

The ferocity of his expression throws me back and reels me in at the same time. I nod.

"I promise."

He nods – relief washing across his face.

Looking at me a moment longer - an uncharacteristic hesitance flickers amid the green flecks in his irises. He leans forward, as though he's about to kiss me. My heart pounds. But then he pauses, his chest rising and falling hard, his eyes studying my face. There's a wildness in his expression, a storm contained within. I can see an internal struggle. And then he seems to compose himself. 

Softly he lets go of my arms, taking the heat from his body away.

I find my breaths are coming out shallow and fast. My skin is buzzing. The tension is still there in the air – crackling around us like electricity.

My heart thuds. I need to say it, I need to just say it; before he goes away, before we are plunged into danger once more. I need to say the words that have lingered on my lips for the past couple of months.

"Cupid?" I say. I breathe in deeply. "What is this between us?"

A flicker of surprise crosses his eyes. His thick brows raise.