Chapter Thirteen: Help Me

We returned to the Northpole when we were done fighting the nightmares. Jack and I had to combine our powers to defeat the fire nightmare. I now sat, huddled in a coner, a little scared over what had happened.

     "Hey. You alright?" asked Jack, coming over to me.

     "Yeah," I said.

     "No you aren't. I'm a winter spirit too. I know you better then you think. So tell me, what's wrong," he pressed.

     "I'm terrified at what happened. He must be really powerful to be able to fuel the nightmare with fire, instead of shadow."

     "Think of it this way. I can keep you from being burned, and we can probably assume you can keep me from being burned. That means that we are invincible together," said Jack, sitting next to me.

     "But I am always scared. Help me be brave," I said softly, looking at him pleadingly.

     "I will be with you. Do not be afraid," said Jack. He catiously put his arm around me, like a big brother protecting his baby sister. All my fears melted away and I felt safe with him here. It was like I was invincible, and maybe, to fire, I was.

     "Thank you," I whispered, holding his arm to me like a little child clinging to a doll or stuffed animal. I was safe was him. He would help me be brave.