pool of heartbreaks (2jae)

LINK:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/11773668

Summary:

Youngjae regrets running away from his love and not being able to be there in the last moments of his life.
And then, Fate swirls up the waters, gives everything a twist, and suddenly Youngjae can see as clear as a glass bead.

____________________________________________________________

"Never again.

Never again will I go through that pain again.

Never again will I watch my beloved die while I watch on the side, helpless.

Never again will I have my heart broken.

Never again will I doubt death.

Never again will I watch the love of my life gasping as the life leaches out of him.

Never again will I go back."

Those were the promises Youngjae swore to when he ran away.

His lover, shot in the stomach.

The paramedics said he wouldn't survive.
Jaebum had pleaded him to stay, his last request to Youngjae.

But Youngjae had been a coward.

He wept his goodbye from behind a veil of tears and then he ran.

Too scared to face the pain as he watched Jaebum fade away.

He ran that night, and he promised never to go back.

To this day, he regrets not being there in the last moments of his soulmates life.

And the pain took root in his heart, the festering wound growing deeper, a plant of agony growing in his soul, a river of tears watering it and the light of lost love feeding it.

It grew into a tree, a pillar of pain.

A flower, with petals of remorse.

A vine, something that could be a lifeline but instead choked him.

A piece of betrayal.
-------------
Youngjae rolled over onto his back.

Outwardly he appeared calm, sleeping.

On the inside he was raging battles of war.

'Should I go today...? ....if I do then I'll regret it tomorrow... but I can feel the water calling... Old 

Man will be lonely... but I should be sleeping.... JB will kill me tomorrow...'

Making up his mind, Youngjae rolled over and quietly climbed out of his bed.

He collected his stuff and slipped his shoes on, making sure he was presentable enough for 11:00 at night.

As he opened the door, Coco lifted her head and looked at him sleepily.

Youngjae froze, sure she would bark, but she just put her head down and started dozing again.

Youngjae readjusted his watch, making sure he had his phone in his bag and then he set out of the dorm into the chilly Seoul night.

Youngjae didn't dare to take a car.

He walked around ten blocks, shivering, looking for the right house.

Eventually he came to it, a quaint, green-and-brown traditional house with a stone path leading up to the door.