2. Meetings and Greetings

Open Waters

Chapter Two

Meetings and Greetings

.

The heat from the toaster radiated up to roughly caress Hana's fingers. After picking the two slices of toast up with her fingertips and hastily dropping them on to a plate nearby, Hana shook her hand in attempt to ward off the slight burning sensation left behind.

The toast now out of the toaster, Hana opened the butter and started to spread it across the now golden-brown bread. She pursed her lips as she worked. Hana had never liked spreading anything over her bread. Somehow, she had never gotten the hang of it.

There was a knock at the door. Thinking it was for her parents, Hana let it go, allowing them to answer it as she plonked herself at the dining room table, ready to eat her breakfast. She was ready for her second day at school in every other way, and would be ready to leave once the toast had disappeared from her plate.

Hana could hear voices float from the hall into the dining room where she was seated. She just picked up her mother's voice, but the second was more muffled. It sounded male, though.

"Hana!" Mae called. "There's someone here for you!"

"Hmm?" Hana called back as best she could though closed lips and a mouthful of toast. She swallowed and stood, hurrying for the door. "Who is -"

She rounded the corner, and her answer stood before her. A wry smile crossed her lips. I should've known.

"What are you doing here?" she asked Makoto, grinning as she spoke.

He smiled back. "You gave me your address yesterday. Since this place is on the way from my house to school, I came to see if you'd like to come with us."

"Us?" Hana repeated, confused. She didn't see anyone else with Makoto.

"Oh, sorry," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I was going to drop by at Haru's, and make sure he gets to school today."

Oh. That makes sense. Well, in that case... 

She smiled. "I'd love to," she said. "Hold on, let me grab my bag. I'll be right back."

Hana made a quick dash for her bedroom, her feet pounding on the floor. Once she arrived, she swung her bag over her shoulder, and then headed for the kitchen where her slices of toast were waiting. Her bag bumped against her back as she ran, scooping the toast as she headed for the front door once more.

"Right." She beamed once she stood in front of Makoto once more. Turning around, she waved a quick goodbye to her parents. "See you later!"

There was the usual chorus of, "Have a good day, sweetheart!" before the door closed, and the two trudged on to school. Hana nibbled on her buttered toast as she walked. It was still slightly warm, though the chill to the air would soon make a change to that. She increased her eating speed, making the most of the toast while it was still warm.

Once she finished, she wiped to mouth to rid it of any crumbs that might cling to the skin and turned to Makoto. They had been walking in comfortable silence until this point. "So," she started casually. "Haru. Anything I should be warned of before I meet him?"

He frowned thoughtfully. "Well," he began, "the first thing you really need to know is that Haru loves the water. He'd do anything to be immersed in it. And when he swims, he only swims freestyle."

God, isn't that the direct opposite to me?

"Second, he loves mackerel almost as much as he loves to be in the water. He's rather serious and not exactly one for conversations, so he can come across as cold at times. But don't let that bother you, he's like that to everyone." Makoto shrugged. "That's basically all the major things you need to know about Nanase Haru."