5. A Proposition

Open Waters

Chapter Five

A Proposition

"So? How did it go? Did you manage to get Rin to talk to you at all?"

Hana waved a fly off her shoulder as she stared at the three boys in an expectant manner. She had to squint to see them through the morning sun rays. Students poured passed them, all talking animatedly as they headed to school for another day.

The three boys looked at each other, almost uncertain. Hana smirked inwardly. I knew it. I knew this would be the case.

"Well, there wasn't much talking," Makoto ventured slowly. "Mostly, it was just Rin and Haru racing."

"Racing?" She shouldn't have been surprised. The two had attempted racing at the old swim club, though there had been no water. Now that they had been at a place with a proper pool, she guessed it was only natural they continue their race there. "Who won?" she asked, tentatively. She wasn't sure about etiquette involving sports, but figured there shouldn't be a big problem with the boys telling her who had won.

Right?

There was a small pause, and for a second Hana was worried that she had said the wrong thing. Then Haru spoke and said, very casually, "Rin."

"Oh." Hana was disappointed. She had wanted Haru to win, even if this had just been a recreational race, and not a competitive one.

"No big deal," Haru said, looking off in the distance.

"Still, we were found by a teacher," Nagisa piped up. "And, he wasn't impressed."

Hana found her lips spread out into a teasing grin, just as the bell rang to symbolise that class was about to begin. She hitched her bag further off her shoulder and said, "Oh, you three are going to be in huge trouble."

* *

Hana drummed her fingers against her leg and sighed, checking the time on her watch. Goodness, they've in that office for a while, she thought wryly. She wasn't surprised. A teacher had caught the boys trespassing in Samezuka's indoor pool, after all. No doubt they were receiving another lecture, this one more serious than the one she had received yesterday.

Thank goodness I'm out of this one. I wonder if Miss Ama-Chan will be able to help them out this time around?

Hana started when she caught a flash of movement. She turned, and realised it was Haru. Good, they're out. Hana jumped up and was about to approach him, but caught the expression on Haru's face. She hesitated, but let it go. It didn't look like Haru wanted to talk to anyone at the moment.

Instead of following him, Hana dashed back inside the school to find the others. If Haru was out, it surely meant the other two were out as well.

Sure enough, she found Makoto and Nagisa, Gou beside them.

She and Gou had talked after Nagisa and Makoto had left the previous day. During that time, Hana was resolved to call Gou 'Kou' to her face, but any other time she'd address her new friend as Gou.

Hana had found she and Gou could become quite good friends. The other girl was bright, cheery and easily approachable, the complete opposite to her older brother.

"Hey guys!" Hana jogged up to them, sending a teasing smile Makoto and Nagisa's way. "So, boys, how much trouble did you get into?" She was hoping it was something major, something she could tease them about later.