17. Training Camp

Open Waters

Chapter Seventeen

Training Camp

.

After getting permission from Ama-chan, and sorting the final few things about the camp, it was finally time to get it underway. Hana had packed her bags the last night. She wouldn't be swimming, but she still packed her swimming costume anyway. It was better to be prepared than regretting it later.

Hana was greatly looking forward to this, so much that the early morning start didn't faze her in the slightest. She was eagerly anticipating time she could spend with her friends, away from most parental supervision. Miss Amakata would be there, but Hana knew that she wouldn't get in the way from letting the boys train. So, it was safe to say that when the boys weren't training, the six of them were going to have a pretty easy time together.

She would be joining the boys in camping, even though Gou had phoned and offered her to stay with her and Ama-chan at a lodge they would stay at for the course of the trip. Hana had declined. She hadn't been camping in ages, and the thought of doing it with her friends was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Just before she left, Hana double-checked her bag, and performed a quick scan of her room. It didn't look like she'd forgotten everything. She smiled and hitched her bag over her shoulder, grunting a little at the weight, and proceeded to make her way downstairs to the kitchen.

Surprisingly, her parents were already up. Hana had expected them to still be in bed, sleeping in, but it didn't look like they were going to miss the chance to say goodbye to their daughter.

"Have fun," Mae said, leaving her steaming up of coffee and embracing her daughter. Hana couldn't help but laugh at how different she and her mother looked, her mother with her bed hair and dressing gown, and herself with her hair tied back in a neat ponytail, and wearing denim shorts, a yellow tank top, and a light, white cardigan.

Hana squeezed her mother back. "I will."

Her father stood next. "Stay safe," he said, hugging her as well. "I hope you have a good time."

"I promise I will." Hana waved at her parents as she left the house, closing the door behind her.

As soon as she was outside, Hana whipped out her phone and selected Makoto's number. The phone only had to ring once before Makoto picked it up.

"Morning, Hana," he greeted warmly.

"Morning, Makoto!" Hana grinned to herself. "Where are you meeting up? Outside Haru's, I guess? It's only a short walk from there to the harbour, right?"

"Yeah, I'm at Haru's. I should have stopped by for you, but I wasn't sure if you were awake."

"You shouldn't have worried about that!" Hana laughed into the receiver. "Alright. I'll be there in a second. See you then." She snapped her phone shut, stuffed it her pocket, and set off for Haru's at a brisk pace.

It morning breeze ruffled Hana's hair, bringing with it the saltiness of the nearby ocean. Hana breathed it in apprehensively. Sure, she was looking forward to spending time with her friends, but she wasn't exaclty looking forward to the journey they needed to take to get there. The ocean unsettled her more then pools did.

It won't be for that long. And it's a cloudless day. No chance of history repeating itself today. With that thought in mind, Hana nodded firmly to herself and walked faster to Haru's.

Fortunately, it didn't take her long. Makoto and Haru were already waiting for her, though.

"Morning, Haru," Hana said first, as she approached. "Morning, Makoto. Sorry if I kept you waiting for too long."