31. Strengthened Bonds

Open Waters

Chapter Thirty-One

Strengthened Bonds

The moment their lips met, a certain thrill shot down Hana's spine. She couldn't explain what it was exactly, but reveled in it just the same. She loved it, and wanted more of it, so she pressed her lips a little harder against his.

And then she realised, Haru hadn't moved.

A flash of hurt hit her hard and she lowered her feet so she was no longer standing on tiptoe, realising Haru didn't want that feeling the way she did, didn't want her. She hung her head. "I - I'm sorry," she whispered. "I don't know what came over me and, and..."

"Hana." Haru interrupted her rambling, and she shut her mouth out of nerves. She wanted to look down at her feet and have the ground swallow her.

But that wasn't to happen; for Haru had cupped her cheek so she looked up at him, and he leaned down ever so slightly and kissed her.

Hana gasped lightly, caught by surprise, but melted into the kiss. The thrilling sensation returned and she wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him closer. His lips still tasted faintly of chlorine after the swim, but Hana didn't care. Their kiss was gentle and sweet.

She couldn't explain it, but after kissing him, she felt complete. She felt as though she was drowning in him, and didn't mind that no one was there to bring her back to reality. In fact, she'd rather she just keep drowning. She didn't want anyone to shatter this moment.

She was sure she could have stayed there for another hour with Haru, losing track of time. But they broke apart as the sound of bubbly, delighted laughter met their ears. Hana flushed and turned around, suddenly remembering Makoto, Rin, Nagisa and Rei were standing there, watching this unfold.

And of course, Nagisa was the one laughing, enjoying every minute.

"Nagisa!" Hana exclaimed, her face beet red. She avoided the stares of the others, but couldn't bring herself to step away from Haru.

"We've been wondering when this was going to happen!" the blonde boy said through his laughter.

"We were getting worried," Rei admitted.

Makoto just sighed. "Looks like I'm just going to have to keep a closer eye on you two." He spoke seriously, but there was a teasing glimmer to his eyes.

"Oh guys," Hana moaned. She buried her face in Haru's shirt. She didn't know how she knew he was smiling as he pulled her smaller frame closer to him.

"I must congratulate you, Etsumi," Rin spoke up. Hana looked up at his voice. He was grinning, which changed his expression completely. "I didn't think Haru here would love anyone here more than he loved the water."

Hana nodded back at him, and then gently pushed herself away from Haru and approached Rin. She scratched her head, a little self-conscious. "I believe we got off to a bad start."

"Possibly." He nodded his agreement.

"Anyway, let's start afresh." She stuck out her hand and smiled, as though she was meeting him for the first time. "I'm Etsumi Hana, but just Hana is fine with me."

He returned the gesture. "Matsuoka Rin. It's a pleasure sure to meet, you, Hana."

"Right back at you." Their hands remained clasped for another second, and then Hana let hers drop.

She was sure that now, she and Rin were going to become good friends.

*          *           *