13. Hesitant Change

Open Waters

Chapter Thirteen

Hestitant Change

They had started trying to teach Rei how to swim two days ago.

On the first day, with Gou watching with folded arms and wearing an expressiong that made Hana want to run far away, Nagisa had tried instructing Rei to swim breastroke. And it seemed to be going well, until Nagisa let go and Rei sank to the bottom. On the second day, it had been Makoto's turn, and he'd attempted to reach Rei backstroke. But, like Nagisa, once Makoto let go, Rei just sank.

Hana found herself watching Rei every day, with each passing day started to feel even more ashamed. Here was Rei, sinking and no doubt humiliating himself more with each passing day, and yet he continued to get up and continue swimming.

And as for Hana? She reflected guiltly that after one incident, she'd told herself that she'd never swim again. Then again, her situation had been far more drastic than something like this, which just involved a pool, and not the ocean.

On the third day of the week, it was raining. Comparing that with the cold, and swimming was ruled out for the day. So, instead of training, Nagisa had proposed to hold a meeting purely for discussing possible reasons as to why Rei couldn't swim.

And now, there they were seated, ready to start the meeting.

"Okay, let's begin the 'Why Can't Rin-Chan Swim' meeting!" Nagisa said, much to Rei's obvious embarrassment. "Anybody have any thoughts?"

A thoughtful silence fell over the group. Hana knew that she would be basically useless in this discussion, since she didn't swim either. But still, she looked at Rei just like the others, pretending to be immersed in thoughtful silence.

"The water doesn't like him," Haru said eventually. As soon as he spoke, Hana sighed and rolled her eyes. Only Haru would come up with a suggestion like that!

What amused her more than Haru's suggestion was the question was the way Nagisa took it seriously. "Poor Rei-chan," the blonde muttered with utmost sympathy. Hana had to refrain from face-palming there and then.

"That can't be it," Makoto said, dismissing the idea. Hana smiled at him, reassured that she wasn't the only same one at the meeting.

"Maybe he's athletically challenged!" Gou cried, leaning far over the table.

"Rei-chan's really fast, and he does well on tests," Nagisa countered at once.

"So Rei's smart," Hana hummed. It didn't really surprise her. Rei definitely looked like an achiever to her eyes.

"Do you like mackerel?" Haru asked.

"DHA..." Gou muttered.

"I know!" Nagisa exclaimed, as though he'd had the most brilliant thought in the universe. "His head is too heavy!"

"All that studying has enlarged his brain!" Gou gasped, sounding almost horrified.

Hana closed her eyes. Gosh, spare me. She loved her friends, she really did... but these suggestions were just ridiculous and made her want to burst out into laughter. And also start to feel more than just the slightest concerned.

She wasn't the only one who had had enough. "That's enough!" Rei said loudly. He stood up as he spoke, easily gaining everyone else's attention. "The problem is the way you guys teach!" Rei continued. "If I had a proper coach, I would be fine!"