14. Clear Depths

Open Waters

Chapter Fourteen

Clear Depths

For whatever reason, Makoto had been keeping an eye on Hana the day following their shopping. Hana thought that it would be likely for Makoto to realise something was up about her, considering that he could always read her like an open book, even when they were kids. But she'd brushed it off, laughing and smiling, and slowly Makoto's worry appeared to vanish. Hana was relieved. She didn't exactly want to explain why she had a swimsuit stuffed in her bag, which was what she would've had to confess if Makoto had confronted her. But he hadn't, so Hana found she could breathe freely again

They'd watched Rei attempt to swim again that day, dressed in his swimsuit and other swim attire, which made him looked rather professional. When he acheived the perfect entry angle for his dive, everyone felt a small sense of hope, which dimished once Rei sank to the bottom yet again.

When Haru had offered to teach Rei how to swim, everyone once again felt hopeful. But not even Haru's coaching could get Rei to swim freestyle. Hana felt her heart reach out to Rei, knowing how demoralising this must be for him, trying stroke after stroke and not being able to succeed in any. When practice finished, Rei had gone to sit on his own, and Haru had gone to talk to him.

Their talk had gone on longer than Hana could have anticipated, which left her feeling mildly ep anxious. Throughout the whole training session, she had wanted to get into the water, but not with everyone else around to start asking questions. She was sure that the longer she put it off, the more likely she was to chicken out and run off.

Eventually, everyone had left. Hana had invented some excuse to allow her to stay behind. As she'd expected, Makoto cast a concerned, suspicious glance her way, and even Haru spared her a second glance. But they'd gone off anyway, leaving Hana alone by the pool.

Now, Hana stared at the water just below her, glowing a strange orange colour to reflect the dying sunlight. The orange made the water appear to be almost warm and welcoming, completely different to her last experience with it.

Hana wrapped her arms around her body, her hands gripping her bare arms. Her light blue swimsuit covered her body instead of her school uniform. Hana couldn't remember the last time she had ever worn a swimsuit in order to go swimming. It felt weird.

She had gone to change not long after the boy's swimming practice ended, and had worn her tracksuit and jumper over the top as a means to hide it. But now the area by the pool was empty. Hana's clothes lay discarded by the pool, in the dryest area Hana could find; a place mostly unaffected by the small puddles caused by wet feet and water dripping off bodies.

Hana would have been in the pool earlier, but Rei and Haru had been talking late, to the point of sunset. Hana glanced up at the sky, and saw it was still a beautiful, deep orange, with streaks of pink. Normally, she didn't like orange, but sunset orange was different. Sunset orange was beautiful.

Hang on a second. Why am I paying so much attention to the sky? Hana shook her head, realising that she'd unconsciously been stalling.

Come on. Makoto is still afraid of the water, but he still dives in and swims. Rei can't swim at all, and he still keeps trying and trying, no matter how many times he sinks. Hana, you can do the same as them. The least you can do is just lower yourself into the water, and see where you go from there.

With a small start and quick scold, Hana gently lowered herself down so she sat, instantly making contact with a wet puddle on the floor. Now seated, Hana slowly moved her legs so they weren't on dry land anymore; she pushed them into the water.