29. A Late Night

Open Waters

Chapter Twenty-Nine

A Late Night

For the final training sessions before regionals, the intensity had been increased tenfold. The boys were swimming their absolute hearts out, getting better and better with each passing day, their times ever decreasing. Even Sasabe was pleased, even impressed and proud of their progress. Rei looked more in place with the team as well, and as well as working hard, the boys looked as though they were enjoying themselves.

Hana was glad she was able to watch it all happen.

The day before the regional tournament came around all too soon. They boys were leaving by bus to get to the area before night fell, so they didn't have to get up early the next morning. They needed to be alert and ready for their swim, and having to wake up early wouldn't benefit them at all.

Hana had journeyed to Haru's just before they left. She'd be going to see them off, but would be driven by her mum to the venue. Still, she didn't think she'd have much time to talk to him one-on-one later, and decided to do it now.

When she arrived, Haru was performing some last-minute packing. Hana smiled as she walked into his room, grabbing the swimsuit he'd folded on his bed, carrying it over to his bag.

"So, today's the day you leave, huh?" she murmured, placing the swimsuit in his bag. It was hardly overflowing, only packed with what he needed for a one-night stay. He'd be leaving directly after the tournament, after all.

He nodded. "Yeah."

"Hope you have a safe trip."

"Thanks."

Hana hesitated, then grabbed his phone, which she'd grabbed from the bench in the hallway, holding it out to him. "Please take your phone," she blurted.

Haru paused in his packing, confused. "Why?"

Hana flushed a little, but outstretched the phone further. "You... want to keep contact with us, right? With... with me?"

He looked at the phone nestled in the palm of her hand, which he hardly ever used. Slowly, he reached out a hand and took it, placing it in his bag. Hana smiled at the gesture. It was surprising how much taking his phone meant to her. But because Haru barely even looked at her phone, the gesture meant a lot.

"Thanks Haru. Even if it's just for a day... I don't want to have to lose contact with you." Hana stared at her feet as she spoke.

"Hana..." A hand was placed on her shoulder and Hana glanced up into Haru's ocean blue eyes. He smiled slightly at her. "I'll be waiting for your call."

Hana felt her lips stretch into a smile back. "Right."

Hana wasn't sure how long she was standing there for, but she absolutely jumped out of her skin as she heard a call of, "Haru? Are you ready - oh." Makoto walked into the bedroom, and caught the two before Hana jumped back, cheeks a flaming red, and proceeded to faintly whistle a tune and glance around the room. Even Haru glanced away from Makoto, seemingly fixated on a certain area of his bedroom wall.

Because that doesn't make things any less conspicious at all.

Makoto outright stared at them for a moment and laughed. "Don't worry. It's only me. I won't tell anyone."

Hana closed her eyes. Oh Makoto.

"So, Haru, can you finish getting packed with Hana in the room, or do I need to stand here and supervise?"