25. Festival

Open Waters

Chapter Twenty-Five

Festival

"Mum, am I really wearing this around the boys? Really?"

Mae smiled, pushing a stray lock of hair behind her daugther's ear. "Nonsense, Hana. A lot of girls will be dressed like this. You won't be the only one, you'll see that soon."

Hana sighed and turned to the mirror, smoothing out the blue fabric of her yukata. Her mother had insisted on styling her hair, and it was now in a slightly messy but well-styled knot at the back of her head, and few strands being allowed to cascade down her face. Mae had tried makeup, but Hana had flat out refused.

However, Hana had slipped on the bracelet she'd received from Haru. She now wore that constantly, except at school where she was terrified of misplacing and losing it, especially around the pool area.

"They're going to laugh at me..." she mumbled, grabbing her purse and putting it in her pocket. Not because she looked silly in her outfit, but because they were so used to seeing her in trousers, that seeing her in such a formal outfit would shock them.

"They won't, Hana. Stop being so ridiculous." Mae turned around as there was a knock at the door. "Ah, it looks like your friends are here now."

Hana breathed in and, after smoothing down a crease in the fabric, walked downstairs to greet her friends. Her cheeks slightly flushed, Hana opened the door.

"Hey," she said, stepping out to see Nagisa and Makoto in front of her. Like her, Nagisa was wearing yukata, while Makoto was just wearing a nice T-shirt and trousers.

For a moment, they were both stunned as she walked out of the door. "Hana-chan!" Nagisa said, shocked.

Makoto "Wow, Hana..."

She turned her head. "Go ahead and laugh."

"Why would we do that?"

Hana raised her arms up in a shrug. "Because you're more used to seeing me in jeans than anything else?"

"Hana, we wouldn't laugh," Makoto said with a shake of his head, out of exasperation. "You look nice."

Hana flushed lightly at his words."Oh, thanks."

"Come on, let's go and get Haru-chan!"

"Why didn't you call him?" Hana asked, puzzled.

"He rarely picks up his phone."

Ah. Makes sense. "Right."

It only took a short amount of time to get to Haru's. The stairs were a little more difficult than usual to climb up because of the yukata Hana was wearing. But soon enough, they stood in front of Haru's door, and Nagisa rung the doorbell.

Hana found herself to be strangely nervous, standing outside Haru's door. She smooth dine her yukata, biting her lip. What will Haru think of this? Will he see it as weird, or will he like it, or... ugh, Hana, just shut it already! Makoto and Nagisa don't mind it, so why should Haru? She hit herself mentally on the forehead. Stop being silly already.

It didn't take long of the door to open, revealing Haru. "Nagisa? Makoto? Hana?" he muttered, eyes flicking to each of them as he spoke. When he looked at Hana, she flushed lightly, and he even looked the mildest surprised. He didn't take too long to recover, so it wasng exactly noticeable for those who weren't playing close attention. "Why are you here?"