4. Another New Face

Open Waters

Chapter Four

Another New Face

Hana felt the grass tickle the exposed skin of her arms. She had pushed her blazer sleeves up to her elbows and clasped her hands behind her head. Her grey-blue eyes looked up at the azure sky above and trailed the clouds as they moved past.

Though to anyone else she may look distracted, Hana was aware of everything going on around her. She listened to the conversation of her friends as they sat outside for lunch. For the first time since she had arrived at Iwatobi, they weren't on the roof.

Unsurprisingly, the topic of conversation was about the events of the previous night. And, more specifically, their encounter with Rin.

"Seriously, I can't believe you guys used to be friends with him," Hana said, not for the first time either.

Makoto and Nagisa shared a slightly exasperated glance. Haru didn't react. Even if he did, Hana wouldn't have noticed. Like her, he was lying down, and she couldn't get a clear view of his face.

"Rin wasn't always like that," Makoto said.

Nagisa shrugged. "Still, it's hard to believe we ran into Rin-chan at the pool."

"What were the odds? It's hard to even come up with an explanation for running into him."

"A dream?" Haru murmured, speaking up for the first time. Everyone stared blankly at him. It sounded like he was trying to provide a theory for their encounter with Rin last night.

The first time he speaks up, and it's some crazy theory. But why would he put it out there in the first place? Hana bit her lip as the thought occurred to her. Maybe it's because he doesn't want to admit how Rin's changed. But why?

"Um, it wasn't a dream," she said. "If so, it was one crazy simultaneous dream we all had."

Nagisa sat back and crossed his arms. "I don't get it, though. Rin-chan was really weird."

Out of the corner of her eye, Hana saw Haru turn on to his side, facing away from them. "A look-alike."

"Why would a look-alike challenge you to a race?" Makoto demanded, leaning forward.

"A ghost, then."

Nagisa looked over at Haru. "He wasn't floating," he plainly said.

"Doppelgänger."

Again, he's just spurting out theories. Hana sighed and closed her eyes, blocking her vision to the sky above. I don't get it. Were Haru and Rin exceptionally close as kids? Is that why he's trying to find an excuse for Rin's attitude last night?

It was the only thing she could think of that made sense.

"Oh, that takes me back!" Makoto exclaimed suddenly. His face lit up animatedly. Hana chuckled, amused, though she didn't understand what everyone was talking about. "We used to do that at the swimming club! Super Fusion: Doppelgä-"

"Keep it down, Makoto," Haru sighed.

The excitement left Makoto's face, his delighted expression replaced with narrowed eyes. "What's wrong with you guys?" he demanded hotly.

Hana held her hands up. "Hey, don't accuse me! I wasn't around, remember? I can't help that I don't understand what you're talking about."

Makoto flushed a little. "Sorry, Hana."