Chapter Five

Chapter Five

That night after Kaitlyn finished cleaning the kitchen, she made her way to Pete's room to check on him. Doctor Rankin had claimed he was too weak to join them for supper and Kaitlyn was worried that perhaps his fever might be returning.

The doctor and Blanche had already retired for the night. They had always been the early to bed, early to rise types. The house was quiet but the wind was howling outside and the snow was still falling heavily.

Kaitlyn tapped lightly on the patient room door before entering and she nearly laughed when she realized the room still smelled very strongly of witch hazel.

Pete was lying on the bed on top of the covers. He had his hands folded behind his head and his ankles were crossed. The doctor had found him a white cotton shirt that was far too large and it contrasted sharply with the suntanned glow of his skin.

His gaze turned to her when she entered the room and she was surprised by the smile that brightened his features. "Hi Kaitlyn." Her heart skipped a beat at the sight of that dimple.

"How are you feeling?" Kaitlyn asked, walking to the bed and folding her hands in front of her.

Pete grunted with pain as he pushed himself into more of a sitting position. "A little sore." He shrugged. "Other than that I'm okay."

"Would you like some laudanum to help with the pain and allow you to rest?"

"No," Pete replied quickly. "I'm tired of feeling cloudy. Maybe we could..." He paused and Kaitlyn waited patiently for him to speak. "Maybe we could talk awhile?"

Kaitlyn bit her lip and glanced toward the door. The doctor would be very cross if he caught her down here socializing with Pete. The doctor wasn't convinced that Pete didn't pose a threat but Kaitlyn seriously doubted that Pete was a danger to her in any way.

She smiled. "That sounds nice." Kaitlyn took a seat in the chair next to his bed and smoothed out her skirt.

Pete rubbed at his neck. "So, do you have any family, Kaitlyn?" And he cursed himself instantly for asking such a bland question. With all his stuttering, stammering and awkwardness he was about as smooth as a washboard.

"Yes, I live with my mama and my pa a few miles outside of town. I have a brother who is about a year younger than me and a five year old sister."

"You don't sound like you're from around here," Pete noted. Her accent was similar to his but far different from most northern accents.

Kaitlyn tipped her head. "Neither do you," she replied. Then she smiled. "My family moved here from Louisiana."

"I grew up in Louisiana!" Pete said, happy to have found something they had in common. "What's your mama and pa's names? Maybe I know them."

Her gaze shifted to the frost covered window and she shifted in the chair before shaking her head. "No, I don't think you know them... Their names are Rose and Jacob."

Pete wondered why she was suddenly acting so fidgety. "Do you have a last name?"

Kaitlyn nodded. "Of course. Marston."

Pete's eyes narrowed. Marston? Jacob Marston? That was awful similar to the name of a big bastard who had helped send Pete's life into a downward spiral. But surely it couldn't be. The name was too similar. Marston wouldn't be that stupid and God wouldn't so cruel as to send Pete the man's daughter.

"What about you?" Kaitlyn urged. "What's your last name?"

Pete shook off his wandering thoughts. "Mears," he replied. "No family though. I was an only child and my folks passed away a few years ago."