Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Winter in the Dakotas meant that darkness had long since fallen by the time supper was on the table the next evening. The snow had ended about the same time as supper was served and Kaitlyn knew that tonight would be her last night here.

Her pa would no doubt be coming to get her tomorrow.

Despite Doctor Rankin's protests, Blanche had invited Pete to dine with them. Kaitlyn stared across the table at the man she so desperately wanted to trust. She knew it was wrong but she was in love with him—had probably been falling since the first time she'd laid eyes on him even though he'd been unconscious.

Kaitlyn suspected that Pete felt the same way about her. After their poker game last night, Kaitlyn felt as if she knew nearly everything about the man. His favorite color was black and he had laughed when she'd argued that wasn't truly a color. His favorite season was spring just like her. He told her he was good with a gun but admitted that there were many people that were better and he had also admitted to being afraid of spiders and snakes.

Kaitlyn had found those admissions to be incredibly endearing. She couldn't imagine her pa ever admitting to being afraid of anything.

"I would say your pa will be here bright and early tomorrow to fetch you," Doctor Rankins pointed voice warned.

Kaitlyn turned her gaze away from Pete and realized that he doctor was fixing her with a stern stare. She looked down at her steak and potatoes. "Yes, I'd say he will. I'm surprised he's stayed away this long."

Blanche nodded. "It is odd. Marston is usually so overprotective of you children. He generally knows every time you breathe."

Pete's head snapped up and his brow was creased. "Marston? I thought you said your pa's name was Jacob."

"Yes it is. But he prefers folks to call him by his last name. He's always hated his first." It made Kaitlyn's stomach hurt to lie but she knew it was necessary. She wouldn't put her family in danger with the truth. Even the doctor and Blanch were oblivious to the fact that Jacob Marston had once been Marston Jacobs.

Pete's frown deepened as he went back to studying his potatoes. "Oh," he mumbled.

"You'll be moving on soon too, won't you, Pete?" Doctor Rankin inquired.

Kaitlyn didn't miss the sharp look Blanche threw in her husband's direction which simply made the man shrug. Pete nodded as he too looked over at the doctor. "Uh.. yeah, I guess I will be. I just have to figure out a way to earn some money for a horse and supplies. I'm afraid those men didn't leave me with nothing other than a little extra lead in my blood."

"I'm sure my pa would hire you on at the house for a while to earn a bit of money," Kaitlyn offered. "It's just him and my brother to do most of the work and he could probably use the help."

Kaitlyn told herself she was only making the offer because she wanted to help Pete get back on his feet. She couldn't let herself admit that it was because she wanted to spend more time with him. It wouldn't be fair of her do so when she knew she could never give him what a man needed from a woman.

Pete grinned. "Will you put in a good word for me?"

Kaitlyn felt her cheeks heat. "Of course."

***

"Kaitlyn!" Pete called in a rush as he limped out of his room that night and tripped over the fancy braided rug. He barely managed to catch himself on the stair rail.