Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Carol had been right. Kaitlyn certainly didn't look like a woman who belonged in a brothel. She barely recognized herself as she stood in front of the full length mirror at the doctor's.

Her long golden tresses were intricately styled upon the back of her head and Carol had woven pearl beads throughout them. She had left several long tendrils hanging around Kaitlyn's face and neck and had added curl to these so they twisted and caught the sunlight.

The white satin and lace dress Kaitlyn wore, fit her much like a second skin in the bodice, accentuating her tiny figure. It flared out at her hips and flowed to the floor, making her feel every bit a princess. The neckline of the dress had swooped dangerously low so Kaitlyn had added a lace inlay to save her modesty and her father's heart.

"You look beautiful," Rose whispered, coming to stand beside her.

"I'm nervous mama," Kaitlyn admitted.

Rose fastened a dainty gold chain around Kaitlyn's neck. "Why?"

Kaitlyn folded her trembling hands in front of her. "What if he changes his mind?"

"My dear, a man would have to be deaf, blind and dumb to change his mind about marrying you after seeing you beauty today," Carol assured her comfortingly as she sprayed a bit of perfume on Kaitlyn's wrists.

Kaitlyn rubbed wrists together absentmindedly as she studied herself in the mirror. "I look so different."

"It's called happiness, sweetheart, and every woman should look like that on her wedding day," Rose replied. Kaitlyn saw her mama fiddling with the cameo necklace she had worn around her neck everyday since Kaitlyn had known her. Marston had given that to her on their first Christmas together and Rose never took it off, though usually she wore it hidden beneath her dress.

Kaitlyn knew her mama must be a bit sad because she always plucked at that necklace when she was thinking hard about something.

"Where is pa?" Kaitlyn asked.

"He'll be along shortly," Rose assured her.

"I'm gonna get married when I grow up," Lucy announced as she bounced into the room with a cinnamon stick clutched tightly in her hand. She sat on the edge of the bed and dangled her feet.

"You better not get that candy on your dress," Rose warned.

Lucy glanced down at the white lace. "I won't mama. Do you want to know who I'm marrying?"

"Who are you marrying?" Kaitlyn asked with a smile as she sat down beside her sister.

"Pa. He's the handsomest man in the whole world," Lucy boasted.

"Thank you, nugget, but I think you mama might just want to keep me for herself," Marston warned as he stepped into the room, looking much different than his usual self in his fancy suit and vest.

Rose winked at her youngest child. "I'll share." She kissed Marston's cheek. "Come on ladies. Let's give these two a bit of alone time."

Marston turned to Kaitlyn when they found themselves alone. "You look awfully pretty."

Kaitlyn smiled and hugged her pa tight. "Do you think Pete will like it?"

Marston grunted as he pulled away and laid his hand on the worn revolver resting in the aged gun belt that contrasted sharply with his fancy clothes. "He will if he knows what's good for him."