Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

"I think Kaitlyn may just be in love with Pete," Rose announced that evening as she and Marston stood together at the sink washing dishes.

Langley was up in his room with his nose stuck in a book and Lucy, Pete and Kaitlyn were in the den relaxing. Marston had always enjoyed this time alone with Rose. He loved his children something fierce but being alone with his beautiful woman always made his heart feel the most at peace.

"Really?" he muttered. "I hadn't noticed."

Rose smiled as she scrubbed at a stubborn spot of grease on her pan. "Yes, you did. How do you feel about it?"

Marston's jaw popped. "As long as he never touches her in any way everything will be just fine."

Rose laughed lightly. "I think he wants to marry her. They will have to kiss to do that."

Marston shivered and his grip on the cup in his hand tightened dangerously. Rose laid her hand on his tense arm and patted it lightly. "Don't break my nice glass."

Marston loosened his grip and snorted. "Then don't say things that cause my head to hurt," he retorted before pressing a tender kiss to her red curls.

"You've been very good with Pete. You've been very warm and accepting," Rose reminded him.

Marston sighed. "I've seen the way she looks at him and I don't want to come between that. Hell, the girl looks at him as if he's some kind of hero. She used to look at me like that."

Rose glanced up at him and saw the sadness in his golden eyes. Emotion clogged her throat. She turned and grabbed Marston's arms, turning him to face her. She laid her hands on his broad chest and looked up into his eyes. "She still looks at you like that, Marston. You will always be special to her."

Marston jaw tightened and Rose knew he was having a hard time expressing himself. Weakness was something Marston Jacobs didn't often show. If there had been anyone else in the kitchen, the two of them wouldn't be having this conversation. It touched Rose's heart to know that her man trusted her enough to be open with her. Raw. Honest. Weak.

"I know she's not really mine, love," he finally whispered gruffly. "Hell, I never even knew she existed until she was eleven, but I feel like I gave life to the girl. When I pulled her out of that house, I became responsible for her and I haven't regretted it a single moment since. She is beautiful, warm and nurturing and everything that a woman should be...."

Marston paused and Rose laid her hand on his cheek. "I sense there is a but coming."

"What happens when Pete finds out about her past?" he ground out. "He will, at some point, and I'm terrified that my little girl is going to get hurt. What if he can't handle the truth of what happened to her as a child? What if the thought of those men being with her causes him to walk away?" Marston's eyes flashed with rage. "I know I owe him for what he did for me but, Rose, if he hurts her I'll kill him. So help me God, I'll kill him so slow....."

Rose cut off his rant by pressing a soft kiss to the corner of his mouth. The anger in his eyes was quickly replaced by passion but it was the love shining out at her that stole Rose's breath the most. Even after all the years and everything they'd been through, when Marston looked at her like that, the world stopped turning.

"Marston, Kaitlyn and I share the same past. Did you turn away from me?"

Marston shook his head and stooped down to nuzzle her neck before resting his cheek against hers. "I couldn't have. You are my soul mate and the only thing in this whole world I couldn't live without. Nothing would ever make me turn away from you. Living without you would be like trying to breathe underwater; I'd end up dead." He looked into her eyes. "Besides, my past isn't all sunshine and clear skies and you accepted me."