Chapter Twenty-Seven

    Pete walked back into town and swiped his arm over his dirty face. The smoke was rising over the small rise to the west and filing the horizon. Burning the bodies had been the easiest option. They had no way of digging that many graves in the frozen ground and there wasn't anybody they knew of to transport the bodies to—these men hadn't had loved ones. 

    Pete had watched the bodies burn and had only left when nothing but smoldering ashes remained. What was left of the bones would be placed in a casket, kept in the back room of the undertakers and buried once Spring arrived. 

    Now he need to get to the hotel, get a bath and get back to Kaitlyn. He needed to hold his wife. He was headed for the hotel when a familiar voice reached his ears. 

    "Edmund, have you seen Pete? Is he okay?" Kaitlyn's voice pleaded with desperation. 

    "He's fine. He's...." 

    "Kaitlyn?" Pete interrupted Edmund. 

    Kaitlyn turned and Pete's eyes drank in the sight of her. She was tired. Her face was pale. Her hair was a mess and there was blood on her skirt. She was the most beautiful sight he had ever seen. 

    "Pete!" she gasped before running toward him. Her feet slipped and slid in the mud. Pete closed the distance between them, wrapped his arms around her, pulled her off her feet and spun her around until she was laughing breathlessly. 

    "God, Kaitlyn, but you're a sight for sore eyes," he whispered as he held her tightly. 

    "So are you," she replied as he sat her on her feet. She laid her hand on his scarred cheek and smiled. "I was terrified when you didn't come back with everyone else." 

    "I'm sorry I worried you," Pete replied, covering her hand with his. "I just wanted to stay in town awhile to clean the mess and make sure no one else got hurt." 

    "I know." Kaitlyn nodded. "You're a good man."

    Pete slid a lock of messy hair behind her ear. "How is everyone at home?"

    "They'll be fine. Pa broke a rib so he'll be mean as a bear for a while. Duke had a bullet lodged in his shoulder so he'll probably be growly himself." Her green eyes narrowed. "Pa told me you were shot as well." 

    Pete pulled his arm from his coat to show her the graze wound. "It's just a scratch," he promised. "Nothing serious. Plus I know a pretty little doctor here in town that's sure to patch me up real good." 

    Kaitlyn blushed and stared down at her feet. Pete's smiled widened and he kissed her brow. "I guess I should be getting you home before it gets dark. Your family will worry." 

    Kaitlyn mumbled something but Pete was unable to make it out as she stared down at the ground. He put his finger under her chin and lifted her face. "What did you say?" 

    Kaitlyn's face was hot enough to fry an egg and her hands were shaking. "I said that I told everyone that we may not be home tonight because we may get a hotel room." 

    Pete damn near swallowed his tongue. "R..really?" he croaked around the dryness that had suddenly grasped his throat. 

    "Yes," Kaitlyn replied before nibbling at her tiny bottom lip. 

    That nibble was Pete's undoing. 

    He grabbed Kaitlyn by the hand and led her toward the hotel. His feet became tangled together in his anxiousness and Pete found himself sprawling face first in the mud.