Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

"Marston, as much as that man deserved to die and as much as justice needed to be served, you can't be doing that again," Rose said sternly that night as she ran her comb though her damp red curls.

Marston raised his brow as he stepped out of the shower. "I can't?" he asked with amusement.

Rose forced herself to ignore the way the sight of his strong body, dripping with water set her blood on fire and shook her head. "No, you can't."

Marston chuckled as he slid into a clean pair of red long johns. "I never have liked being told what I can and can't do," he said. "Why don't you just tell me why I can't be doing it."

Rose felt her temper flare. Did he truly not know? Or was it simply that he didn't care? She slammed her brush down on the vanity. "Sometimes, you're an ass!"

Rose headed for the door but Marston was quick to grab her arm and pull her back to him. "I'm an ass all the time," he admitted regretfully. "Talk to me, Rose. What's wrong? You know I'd never hurt you on purpose."

Rose took a breath and looked up into his golden eyes to steady herself. "I don't want you risking your life anymore," she admitted, as her voice trembled. "I lost you once and I couldn't live through losing you again... I wouldn't make it next time..."

Marston sighed and wrapped her up tight in his arms. "You're not gonna lose me, Rose. I came back to you last time, didn't I? I'll always come back to you."

Rose sniffed against his chest. "How close was it?"

Marston knew he couldn't lie to her. "Not close for me but Pete almost ate some lead. If that man hadn't been tired and weak from an injury, and if his hand hadn't been shaking, then Pete might have died too."

Rose's eyes narrowed up at him. "He didn't tell Kaitlyn it was that close."

Marston kissed he thick red curls. "Why worry her? Pete's alive and well. Justice was served. Everyone is here and safe. We might as well just let it go."

"I guess you're right," Rose mumbled.

"Of course I am. I'm always right." Marston grinned. "Do you know what else I always am?"

He gave her a wink and she smiled coyly. "What's that?"

"How about we head to the bedroom and I'll show you?"

Rose felt a tremble of anticipation wash over her. "I'm awfully tired," she warned.

Marston shrugged. "That's okay. You can just lay there."

Rose let out a loud burst of laughter. "Spoken like a true romantic."

"You must be talking about your other man," Marston said, nuzzling her neck. "I'm nothing but an old outlaw."

"You're much more than that," Rose countered. "But you can keep telling yourself whatever you need to."

Marston growled and then swooped in, capturing her lips hungrily. He walked backward, pulling her with him and never breaking the kiss as he opened the door and stepped into the hallway.

"Marston?" Pete's voice filled the quiet and Marston growled, turning away from Rose to see Pete turning up the staircase toward them.

Pete's eyes widened when he saw Rose. Damn but hadn't realized that Marston and Rose were having alone time.... It made the conversation he'd finally decided to have with Marston seem a whole lot more like a bad idea.