Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Marston rode into town at just after dawn. Langley rode beside him whistling a tune in the frigid winter air. Town was fairly dead. There were several store keeps attempting to clean their storefronts but for the most part, the snow and the cold were keeping everyone in.

Marston pulled Buck to a stop outside the doc's house and turned to Langley. "Ride on down to the gun shop and get that rifle so we can finish it up at the house. I'll go in and get Kaitlyn so we can get back before your mama starts to worry."

Langley nodded and took off down the road on his black gelding, though the going was slow in the deep snow. Marston rubbed his frozen hands together in an attempt to bring warmth to them as he stepped up onto the porch.

He knocked once and waited patiently for the doctor to answer. "Good morning, Marston," Doctor Rankin greeted with a sleepy smile and messy hair. It was clear he was just rising. "I figured you'd probably get here bright and early this morning."

"Yeah, I have to pick up a few things and get Kaitlyn on home to her mama. Rose has been missing her something fierce."

Marston stepped into the warm entryway and sighed with relief. He'd have never made it as an outlaw living on horseback if he'd been forced to do so up here in this cold.

Doctor Rankin smiled. "Kaitlyn is still asleep this morning. I can have Blanche go wake her if you'd like."

Marston scratched at his jaw. "She's asleep?" It was odd for Kaitlyn to sleep much past five.

"Yes," Doctor Rankin replied. "She's been working herself so hard the last few days, I'm sure she's exhausted."

Marston nodded and pulled up the collar of his coat. "I'll just go get what I need from the mercantile then and come back for her once I'm done."

"Sounds good. I have to go check on my patient. He should be ready to leave soon."

Marston watched Doctor Rankin step to the patient room and open the door. Curiosity got the better of Marston and he followed the doctor only to realize that the bed was empty.

"Where is he?" Marston asked.

The doctor scratched at his hair. "He must have left in the night...."

Marston's eyes landed on a pair of worn boots beside the bed. He raised his brow. "Barefoot?"

The doctor's eyes widened and he glanced up at the ceiling above them. "Oh dear..."

Marston's temper surged. He strode from the room, intent on killing. He pulled his gun and marched up the steps, aware of the doctor and Blanche scurrying along behind him. They were talking fast and attempting to talk him into calming down.

Hell no.

He would kill whoever this damn bastard was for whatever it was he was doing with Kaitlyn and then Marston would go home and throw a big old 'I told you so' right in Rose's general direction.

As Marston approached the door to the room that Kaitlyn would be using, he decided that a gun was too merciful. He put it away and pulled his knife. Up close and personal.

***

Kaitlyn felt more warm and safe than she had ever felt in her life. She had her face pressed against Pete's chest and instead of being frightened by his closeness, she was captivated.

His scent. The hardness of his body. The steadiness of his breathing. All those things amazed her. Kaitlyn took a deep breath and witch hazel filled her nostrils. The early morning sunlight, streaming through the window washed over his face and Kaitlyn studied him closely.