Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Kaitlyn's nerves were eating a hole through her stomach as she readied herself to go down and face Pete. She slipped into her brown wool skirt and yellow blouse. She rolled her long golden hair onto the back of her head and secured it with several pins.

Kaitlyn stared at herself in the mirror and attempted to see herself as a man would. She knew that she had a pretty face but her body was that of a boy. She had no real curves to speak of and Kaitlyn had always been okay with that in the past because she hadn't wanted men desiring her.

The dissatisfaction she was now feeling while looking at herself probably came from her feelings for Pete. She wanted him to look at her. She wanted to be enough for him.

Kaitlyn knew she was stalling for time. She was nervous about walking into the kitchen. Pete might still be here and he might love her but would he still see the her he had seen before or would he now see her as broken, the way she saw herself.

There was only one way she would ever know.

Kaitlyn took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and marched out of room, down the stairs and toward the kitchen. "Mama, you burned the bacon," she heard Lucy scold.

"Actually, Lucy, that was me," Pete's warm voice caused a pleasant, tingling to work its way down Kaitlyn's spine. "I never was much of a cook."

"That's alright," Langley's voice chimed in. "You should eat pa's eggs sometime."

"We can't all be perfect," Marston intoned dryly.

Kaitlyn stepped into the kitchen just in time to see her mama set a large bowl of steaming oatmeal and peaches on the already food laden table. Langley was sitting in a chair with his long legs stretched out in front of him while her pa was sitting in another, cradling Lucy's doll in his arms while Lucy went about getting a small spoonful of oatmeal.

"Hold her head up, pa, so she doesn't get choked," Lucy ordered impatiently. It was clear that Marston was doing his best to hide his amusement as he adjusted the doll.

Finally Kaitlyn let her eyes fall on Pete. He was standing at the counter across the room and he was staring at her intently. She shifted under his gaze but forced herself to meet his eyes. Kaitlyn searched them for any sign that he was disgusted or regretful to know her but found none. Pete was still looking at her with all the love and warmth that he had been since he'd woken up at the doc's.

Pete smiled, his dimple deepening in his cheek as he crossed the room to her with long, purposeful strides. Kaitlyn felt her knees begin to shake and fought the urge to move—but whether she was wanting to run away from him or to him, she couldn't have said.

Kaitlyn swallowed hard and nearly collapsed right there upon the floor when he stopped mere inches away and ran his knuckles tenderly down her cheek. "Good morning," he whispered huskily.

Kaitlyn licked her trembling lip. "Good morning," she replied, surprised to find herself leaning into his touch. The rest of the room seemed to fade away and all Kaitlyn could see was Pete.

"Are you hungry?" he asked as he let his hand fall. "I burned the bacon." Kaitlyn relaxed at the sight of his grin and the tone of his teasing. Her tension and uncertainties faded instantly when he took her hand in his and led her to the table.

When he pulled out her chair and then pushed her into the table, Kaitlyn couldn't help but smile. She should have known her mama was right. Maybe, just maybe, things would work out with Pete.