Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"What?!" Kaitlyn and Pete demanded in unison while Langley began laughing so hard, he pulled his hat off and smacked it against his thigh.

"God pa! You crack me up!" Langley gasped between guffaws. "Nothing like telling a man like it is."

Curious faces pressed against window around them and Marston growled. "Let's go talk somewhere private." Without waiting for anyone to agree he strode away toward the gun shop.

Pete began making his way slowly after the man, his side pulling with every step he took in the deep snow. Kaitlyn's hand in his helped take away a bit of the hurt.

"I made you cry," Pete whispered shamefully.

"Yes, you did," Kaitlyn agreed softly.

Pete had never been more ashamed in his life. "I'm sorry."

Kaitlyn shrugged. "I think you have some explaining to do and I promise my pa will listen better once we're somewhere with more privacy. Folks around here don't know about his life before and he wants to keep it that way."

Pete doubted that. "I don't think he will, honey," he assured her. "I didn't see any sympathy in his eyes."

Kaitlyn chose not to say anything. She knew how hard-headed and cold her pa could be sometimes with people outside the family. The only people he seemed to truly care about were her, her siblings and their mama—occasionally Uncle Jeremiah and Uncle Duke.

"I really am sorry I made you cry, Kaitlyn. I overreacted when I saw Marston. I'd been carrying around a lot of hate for a long time and it all came bubbling up at once."

"I understand." Kaitlyn attempted to pull her hand away but Pete hardened his jaw and refused to let her go. He was determined to enjoy her closeness for what few minutes he had left to do so. He had no doubt that Marston would make her choose which man she wanted and he also had no doubt that Kaitlyn would choose her pa when given the ultimatum.

It was clear she thought the sun rose and set in that man.

Pete's side was throbbing and burning when they finally reached the gun shop. He was quick to lean against a bench and take the pressure off the aching wound. Marston stoked up the fire in the stove and he and Langley stood beside it, warming their hands.

"Close the door," Marston said sternly and Pete reached out and did just that. "Now we can talk." Marston took a long draw off the cigarette in his hand. Langley held out his hand as if wanting a draw of his own. "Boy, your mama would have my head on a platter. If you want to smoke, you'll have to buy it yourself and face her wrath alone."

"That's what you're good at, isn't it Marston?" Pete practically snarled. "Keeping your nose out of shit and making everyone face things alone?"

Kaitlyn removed her hand from his and folded her hands in front of her. "Are the two of you going to continue to fight or are you actually going to talk things over?" Her soft voice held an edge of irritation and nerves. Pete wondered what the hell she had to be nervous about. It was his heart that was going to be ripped up and tossed in the snow when all was said and done.

"He's the one that keeps bitchin'," Marston assured her.

Kaitlyn's green eyes glared at him. "You either be nice or I'll tell mama."

Pete was damn sure he saw fear flash in Marston's eyes which was an emotion he hadn't even seen in them when Marston had been about to hang all those years ago. Was that the man's weakness? You threatened to tell his wife on him?