Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"Damn Marston. Nice house," Pete muttered when the large two story home came into view. Pete had never seen an outlaw with such nice accommodations.

"My brother won it in a poker game and he gave it to Rose and the children back when they thought I was a dead man."

Pete pulled the gray mare that Marston had rented in town for him to a stop just as the big black door to the house opened and a young girl with dark brown curls ran out with an old hound on her heels.

"Pa's home!" the girl exclaimed, her curls dancing around her face as she bounced. "And he brought Kaitlyn back!"

Pete dismounted the mare and watched Marston help Kaitlyn off Buck's back before the outlaw took off running toward the house.

"Apparently I'm nothing but chopped liver," Langley muttered.

Pete watched Marston as he scooped the young girl up in his arms and spun her around. It was strange to see Marston looking so different. He looked nothing like a dangerous outlaw in that moment and every inch a loving family man.

Kaitlyn came to stand beside Pete just as a soft bodied woman with thick red curls stepped from the house. She had skin nearly as white as the snow around them and her big eyes lit up at the sight of Marston.

"Is that your mama?" Pete quietly asked Kaitlyn.

"Yep," Langley replied before Kaitlyn could. "Nicest woman you'll ever meet most of the time. Uncle Duke likes to joke though that mama can't be as sweet and kind as she seems because it would have taken a woman with more than a little outlaw in her to tame pa."

Pete nodded. Marston certainly looked tamed as he pressed a soft kiss to Rose's lips and propped the girl upon his hip.

That was what Pete wanted. He wanted a woman who looked at him with that kind of love. He glanced down at Kaitlyn and she blushed and turned her gaze to the snow.

"Who is that?" Rose questioned, pointing at Pete.

Marston sighed. "Pete. Apparently he's in love with our daughter."

"And he's still breathing?" Rose teased.

Marston growled. "Barely."

She smiled as she laid her head on his arm comfortingly. "Do you know him?"

"Yep," Marston replied. "He was a deputy in Millerton." Marston didn't go into any further detail with Lucy listening intently to every word her parents said.

Rose was quiet a moment before nodded. "I remember you telling me about him."

Lucy shifted in his arms, grabbed him by his ear and forced his gaze to her. "What?" Marston asked, fighting back a smile.

"I'm cold."

"Well it's January," he reminded her. "And you came out without a coat. What did you think was going to happen?"

"Don't lecture," she pouted. "Just take me in where it's warm."

Marston laughed. "Go to your mama and she'll take you in where it's warm. We'll get the horses put up and join you in a minute."

"Okay," she smiled brightly and Marston gave her over to Rose.

"Kaitlyn, you get on in where it's warm too," Marston ordered as he stepped off the porch.

Kaitlyn was quick to do as he said and the men found themselves alone. "So, that's the family the Marshall threatened to take from you?" Pete asked quietly as the three of them led their horses toward the barn.