Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

'I'm coming for you, little Kaitlyn," Vincent's voice whispered in the blackness that surrounded her.

Kaitlyn couldn't see him but she could feel his hot, rancid breath upon her face and his hands were groping at her body.

"My pa would never let you touch me," she whispered, her voice trembling.

"Your pa is going to die soon. So is your new love. You better not let him touch your body, Kaitlyn. Your body is mine."

"Leave Pete alone!" Kaitlyn cried with desperation. She fought wildly but to no avail as Vincent's rough hands roamed over her. A cold sweat soaked her. She couldn't see. The darkness was thick around her, like a blanket that stole her breath and caused her heart to pound.

"You belong to me," he sneered.

His fingertips ran up her thigh and Kaitlyn began to scream as loudly as she could as she thrashed against him. Hitting a body she could not see with her small fists. As always, she was no match for his strength. She couldn't fight him off.. he would claim her just as he always did...

***

Pete awoke to Creed's wet, stinking tongue licking his face. "Dammit, you ugly hound" he grumbled as he began drying his cheeks with his shirt sleeve.

Creed leapt from the sofa and let out a mournful sound. The fire had nearly died. How long had he been asleep? The hound trotted to the stairs, let out a whimper and then came back.

"What's wrong with you, you ugly beast?" Pete demanded.

Then he heard it. A moan came from upstairs. He recognized the sound because he had heard it before. Pete didn't even think about what he was doing as he bounded up the staircase and threw open the door to Kaitlyn's room.

She was lying on her bed, illuminated by moonlight. The sheets were tangled around her thrashing body. Her golden hair was damp with sweat and sticking to her cheeks. She swung her arms and legs as if fighting someone off.

Suddenly she let out a scream that echoed through the room and Pete ran to the bed and scooped her up into his arms, cradling her trembling body against his chest. "Wake up, honey," he urged as he sat down upon the mattress. "Wake up now."

"Pete?" she whispered and then suddenly her body stopped fighting and her fingers dug into his back as she clung to him.

Pete kissed her hair. "It was just a dream, love. No one is going to hurt you."

Pete felt eyes on his back and he turned his head to see Marston standing in the doorway with his gun in his hand. Rose and Langley were standing behind him.

"Is everything okay?" Carol's voice sounded from down the hall.

Langley turned and walked out of sight. "It's fine. My sister just had a dream, that's all."

"I'm sorry I woke everyone," Kaitlyn muttered before scrambling from Pete's arms and pulling her knees into her chest as she sat against the headboard. Pete didn't move from his spot on the bed. Instead he reached out and smoothed a bit of damp hair from her cheek.

"You can go on to bed now, Pete. Rose and I will take care of Kaitlyn."

Pete wanted to argue and insist that he was going to stay with Kaitlyn but he knew he had no right to do that. He wasn't her husband, she was Marston's daughter and this was Marston's house.