Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

"So, what you're telling me is that you're going to marry my daughter, become the town sheriff and you want me, an outlaw who has been hanged for his crimes, to make the bars and locks for your jail?" Marston asked from behind his coffee cup the next morning.

Pete nodded as he stuck a forkful of eggs into his mouth. "Yeah, that's what I'm telling you."

"Better make this Irish coffee," Marston grumbled before standing up and walking to the cabinet to get the whiskey bottle.

"I'm so happy for you!" Rose said brightly as she gave Kaitlyn a warm smile.

Kaitlyn blushed and looked down at her plate while Pete reached under the table and gave her hand a gentle squeeze.

"I'm impressed, Pete," Langley spoke up. "You sure have grown a pair since you came to town."

"Langley!" Rose exclaimed as Carol hid her laughter behind a fake cough.

Langley's ears reddened. "What?" he mumbled.

"You spend too much damn time with your uncles," Marston scolded him. "You should know better than to speak that way around the ladies."

Pete saw a flash of irritation and annoyance pass over Langley's face but if Marston noticed it, he gave no indication. Instead, Marston turned to Pete. "I'll make your damn bars."

Pete nodded. "Thank you, sir."

"I'm only doing it so you won't leave town with my little girl."

"I'm not going anywhere, pa," Lucy assured him as she clambered into his lap.

Marston smiled warmly at the dark haired girl. "I was talking about my big little girl." He poked her nose. "I know you're not going anywhere, nugget. If you left who would feed Creed sausage under the table?"

Lucy's face became the picture of seriousness. "I don't do that." She was batting her lashes to further prove her innocence when Creed came out from under the table licking his lips. "Well, maybe I do it sometimes," Lucy admitted with a giggle.

"So when is this wedding going to be?" Carol asked.

Pete looked at Kaitlyn and she shrugged. "I don't know."

"Soon. It should be soon," Carol insisted. Then she wiped her mouth with her napkin. "That is if you don't mind me voicing my opinion. It's just that life has no guarantees and waiting doesn't seem to make sense when two people are as in love as you are."

"Soon sounds good to me," Pete agreed. Hell, he'd marry Kaitlyn today if the woman wanted to.

"Paul Sanchez can perform the ceremony. He does all of them here in town," Rose said thoughtfully. "And I'm sure that Anita at the shop will have a dress that will work perfectly. And Doctor Rankin has that large empty building at the edge of town and it will be the perfect place for the wedding."

"I don't need a big wedding, mama," Kaitlyn insisted with a shake of her head.

Rose smiled. "Yes you do. You deserve it. Doesn't she deserve it, Pete?"

"Yes ma'am," Pete replied honestly.

"One week," Rose nodded. "One week should give us plenty of time."

"One week?!" Marston and Kaitlyn demanded in unison.

"Is that too long?" Rose asked, the glance she through in Marston's direction was clearly a dare.