Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two

"Dammit!" Marston roared just before his fist connected with the wall, crashing through the bright yellow plaster.

Kaitlyn gasped and Pete's arms tightened around her. Langley was leaned against the wall and his shoulders were tense. Duke and Jeremiah were standing side by side next to the fire and Rose and Carol were sitting on the sofa opposite of Kaitlyn and Pete. Lucy was sound asleep upstairs with Creed standing guard beside her bed.

Kaitlyn was trying desperately to wrap her mind around what Duke and Jeremiah had just told them. Vincent was coming. He and his gang of murdering outlaws were coming for them.

Vincent would kill her family and take her away just as he had always promised to in her dreams!

Breathing became difficult as her heart pounded in her chest, blood roared in her ears and her vision swam. Memories flooded Kaitlyn's mind and tears filled her eyes. She wrapped her arms tight around herself and began to rock back and forth.

Pete stood from the sofa and then crouched down in front of her, taking her hands in his. "Kaitlyn, honey, no one is going to hurt you," he soothed. "I would never, never let him have you. He'd have to kill me first and I may not be the fastest or the strongest but I don't die easy."

Kaitlyn simply shook her head and squeezed her eyes shut tight. "Kaitlyn, open your eyes and look at me," he ordered sternly. She did as he said. Her green eyes were bright with fear. Pete hoped it would be him that got to put a bullet in that bastard's head. "Do you trust me?" he asked her. "Do you trust me to keep you safe? I swear to you I will. You don't have a single thing to be worried about from that man."

Kaitlyn slowly nodded and Pete kissed her knuckles before settling himself down beside her on the sofa once more. Marston strode over to the sofa and stood before them. "Why the hell would Kaitlyn think she needs to be afraid of that man?" he demanded, blood trickling from his knuckles.

"It's nothing.." Kaitlyn lied, her chin trembling.

Marston growled. "Don't lie to me, dammit. I'm not in the mood."

Pete got to his feet and stood toe to toe with the giant outlaw. "Don't speak to my wife that way," he warned. "She is scared and the only damn reason you're so mad is because all of this is your fault. If you'd have made sure that bastard was dead then none of this would be happening."

"Don't you dare blame Marston for this!" Rose snapped, leaping to her feet.

"He's a big boy," Pete spat. "He can handle it."

Marston's fist shot out but Pete dodged and his punch went wide. "Stop it!" Kaitlyn screamed and a strained silence followed he outburst. She whimpered. "Just stop please."

Marston raised his hands and took several steps back. Rose and Pete both sat back down.

"Kaitlyn, why do you feel as if this man would have a special interest in you?" Carol asked, realizing that the family was far too on edge to speak reasonably to one another.

Kaitlyn took a deep steadying breath. "The night that pa rescued me, Vincent had been in the process of buying me from Gilliam." Kaitlyn rubbed her hands up and down the lace sleeves of her dress. "I have dreams and in them he comes to get me. He tells me that I'm his, that he owns me and he'll kill whoever stands in his way of having me."

"Is that right?" Marston growled. Without another word he stormed to the gun cabinet by the wall and pulled out a rifle. He slung it over his shoulder before gathering boxes of ammunition in his hands.