Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

"Where are you off to, Pete?" Marston asked Pete as they met on the road.

Marston had been riding into town to get cinnamon candy for Lucy. Rose had been angry with him for dropping everything to get the girl what she wanted but he had only shrugged. She was worth it—and he'd wanted to make sure that Kaitlyn and Pete had made it safely.

"I'm not sure," Pete replied. "I have a trail to follow."

Marston sensed a change in the man. The carefree nature he normally displayed was toned down and in its place was a seriousness and a self-assured posture.

"A trail to where and why is Buck covered in blood? Did something happen to Kaitlyn?"

"No, I wouldn't let anything happen to her," Pete assured him. "I'll clean Buck up when I'm done."

Marston lit a cigarette and took a long draw. "Why don't you get to telling me exactly what's going on."

Pete signaled for Marston to follow him off the road. "Why don't we walk and talk?" he asked. "I don't want him getting too far ahead of me."

Marston saw the trail they were following and he nodded as he followed after the other man. "Who are we following?"

"I don't know. I was on my way back to the house earlier when I came upon an old man and woman being attacked. The attacker ran away after murdering the man and bashing the woman in the head. I took her to the doc's, took the man to the undertaker and now I'm gonna see that bastard pay for what he did."

Marston's gaze never left the torn up snow and mud the attacker had left in his wake as he'd ridden away hard. "Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why are you going after him? Did you know the people?"

"No. What does that have to do with anything?" Pete demanded. "That man killed an innocent man and widowed an innocent woman. He just rode off afterward like there wasn't a thing wrong with what he'd done. I plan on letting him know he can't get away with that."

"You're gonna risk your neck for folks you don't even know? Is this some kind of habit of yours?" Marston asked, before taking another long draw off his cigarette.

Pete glared over at him. "I guess it is. I always just thought it was called being a decent person."

"Foolish is what it is."

"Sorry you feel that way," Pete grumbled.

"I guess that's what makes you a good lawman though. Lawmen are supposed to risk their necks for someone they don't know."

Pete was quick to argue. "I'm not a lawman anymore."

"Sure you are." Marston nodded. "I reckon you being a lawman is like me being an outlaw. It's in our blood and it always will be."

"That might make things a bit awkward at family get-togethers," Pete noted.

Marston's eyes narrowed as he blew out a cloud of smoke. "You saying you want to be part of the family?" he asked, his voice so calm it caused Pete to shift in his saddle.

Pete shrugged. "How about we talk about that if I live through serving justice?"

"I'll come with you," Marston stated. "It wouldn't be too good if I let something happen to the man my daughter is in love with."

Pete's snorted. "I don't need to be protected, Marston. I can take care of myself."

Marston chuckled and flicked ashes. "Fine then, I'll let your ass get shot. But I'm still coming along because I'd hate to see anything happen to Buck. I'm fond of that horse. We just gotta make sure we're back by supper time. Rose is making a ham."