Chapter 17

Is this really happening? I literally just applied this morning, and here I am, already getting a call for an interview at Grey Enterprises. This can't be happening.

"Hello? Is anybody there?" The secretary's voice pulls me back to reality.

Holy hell, this is really happening.

After glancing the clock, I try my best to remain calm when I answer. "Yes, I can make time for the interview today, even though it's such a short notice." I make it seem like I cleared my 'busy' schedule just for the interview, when in reality, I am not busy at all.

"What time would you like to come in?" Her soft voice asks.

"3:30 is good," I say without hesitation.

"3:30 it is," I hear her type something on a keyboard through the phone before she replies, "I'll let Mr. Grey know to expect you then. You can find the address and directions to our headquarters on the website. Come in through the main entrance, our lobbyist will assist you from there."

"Thank you, Adrianna."

"I look forward to meeting you soon," she says softly.

After the phone call is over, I let out a tiny squeal, but on the inside, I am screaming. Talie is sleeping, so I won't wake her because I have a feeling that she'll be out for a pretty long time. I leave her a little note telling her where I will be and to make herself at home, just in case she wakes up when I am gone.

I use the little time I have to put together a small portfolio of my accomplishments and credentials that would qualify me for this position. Hopefully, Mr. Grey will see that I have a good work ethic through my résumé.

2:00 is here before I know it. I dress professionally, wanting to make a good impression on Mr. Grey. He must have spent a lifetime building up his empire of entrepreneurship - probably old of age, but proud of his accomplishments all the same.

I don't wear a skirt, not wanting to take the chances of seeming provocative. I want it to look like I am taking this seriously, because I am. If I get this internship, then I will have a source of income during my freshman year of college. I put on my nicest pair of professional black dress pants, topping it off with a nice blouse and a black blazer that fits me well. I briefly run my flat iron through my hair and tie it up in a ponytail. Satisfied with my appearance, I head out with Talie's car keys in one hand and my portfolio in another.

Thankfully, there is not much traffic, so by 3:15, I'm entering the parking lot of Grey Enterprises Inc. Nervousness slowly overtakes every inch of my body as I shut off the car engine and walk toward the gold-plated swiveling doors that lead to the lobby.

The woman behind the desk gives me a warm smile and beckons me towards her with a wave of her manicured hand.

"Are you the college freshman here for an interview?" she asks sweetly.

"Yes, my name is Esmeralda Chambers," I clarify.

"Pretty name," she comments. "My name is Gia. Let me make a quick call to make sure that Mr. Grey is ready for your appointment."

"Okay." As she dials a number, I look around and am in awe of how warm and beautiful the Grey Enterprises headquarters is. I could get used to working here.

My fantasy is interrupted when Gia says, "You can head on up now. Our intern will assist you there." She directs her attention to the blond girl who sits at a small desk a couple feet away from her. "Olivia, please escort Miss Chambers up to Mr. Grey's office for an interview."

"Of course." The blonde stands up and begins walking as I follow her down a wide hallway. Our heels clack against the cream-colored tiles and her soft curls bounce as we make our way towards the elevators.

As I follow her, I briefly notice that all the workers here, or at least the ones I've seen so far, are all women - beautiful women. Not that I've been here long, but I haven't come in contact with one male yet.

We wait for less than a minute before the elevator doors slide open with a soft ping. It is empty. We enter and her hot pink-tipped finger presses the button labeled "L15".

The silence on the elevator is broken when the young lady who is guiding me speaks. "We haven't had a college freshman work for the company in several years."

I look towards her, and she smiles the fakest smile. "We usually don't even call them in for interviews, but I guess Mr. Grey took pity on you."

I hide my emotions and state firmly, "Well there's a first for everything."

"Don't get your hopes up. They all say that until they are rejected." Her stone cold blue eyes are aimed straight ahead, not even at me. How rude.

I open my mouth to respond, but the elevator doors open at that moment.

"Room 7 is on the right. Good luck, Miss Chambers," she says, obviously not meaning one word of it.

I walk out, slightly intimidated by everyone here. They all seem so poised and well-put together. I, on the other hand, am clumsy and everything else that they're not.

Maybe I should just leave now, before I am disappointed.

I should, but I won't.

I find the door labeled 'Chris Grey', and underneath it, the words 'Chief Executive Officer'. Taking a deep breath, I knock softly on the door and a feminine voice immediately answers, "Come in."

I enter and see Adrianna, Mr. Grey's assistant. She is pretty, of course, and I am immediately intimidated. There is a sleek door that separates her office from Mr. Grey's.

Her eyes flicker down to my outfit and back up to my eyes so quickly that I barely catch it. I deeply regret not wearing a skirt. Every lady I've seen here so far is showing some leg, either through the form of a skirt or a dress.

The brunette lifts her hand with a warm smile and I reach forward to gently shake it. "I'm Adrianna, the person you spoke with on the phone earlier today. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you as well," I say back.

"Please have a seat until Mr. Grey is ready for you." She motions toward the chairs arranged along the wall.

"Thank you."

With a small nod, she looks back towards the Mac computer she is working at and continues to type away.

Anxiety begins to clog my veins as the wait increases. It seems as though I have waited for an hour, but I have only waited for eight minutes according to the time.

Finally, the phone next to Adrianna rings from who I am assuming is Mr. Grey. A couple of sentences later, she tells me, "Mr. Grey is ready for you. Go on in."

Standing up from the plush chair, I smooth my already smooth pants and proceed to the door behind Adrianna.

Twisting the gold handle, I open the door and turn around to close it shut. Swiveling back around, my heart stops.

Grinning at me with the most gorgeous smile known to mankind is mystery guy. He stands, tall, clean-shaven, and broad-shouldered behind his mahogany desk.

"Hello, Esmeralda. Nice to finally see you again."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Surprised? I'm sure that most of you guys saw it coming lol. I will be updating when there is a total of 275 votes! Remember, you can always go back and vote on previous chapters (if you haven't already) to reach the goal! ;) Xoxo, love you all!