"Like"

The next day after replacing Harry's old bandage with a new one, they got ready for school. Harry left Uma's house after she changed the bandage so he could go home and change his clothes.

After saying he would see her at school, he made his way home. He snuck into the front door and prayed that his dad was still passed out from his late night drinking. He was. On the recliner facing the front door was his dad sleeping surrounded by five more empty bottles of beer. Not wanting to wake him up, he tiptoed around him and softly walked to his room. He got his clothes, showered and left as quietly as he came.

Knowing Harry was already late for school, he decided to take his time getting there. As he made his way he would grab things from one person and simply throw it at another person. He laughed at their angry faces and dared them to say something. No one ever did. No one but Uma. He paused for a second and thought about it. Why? Out of all the people he could have befriended, he chose her? The most difficult and highly temperamental person he has ever met, besides his father. Maybe because you find her interesting, his mind taunted. Maybe, he agreed with himself and shook his head. Having never felt what it was to "like a person" he just left what he thought of her as interesting. Little did Harry know, thinking that someone was "interesting" on the isle is the same a "liking" them.

Ignoring his thoughts and having finally made it to school, he walked in and saw Uma grabbing textbooks from her locker. Without a moment's hesitation he made his way to her. Uma closed her locker and not having seen Harry she turned and began walking to her second period, Choosing Your Weapon 105.

"Uma wait up!" Harry called out as he ran to catch up with her.

Uma turned when she heard his voice and smirked as he run to catch up. "Don't you have a class to go to Harry?"

"Yeah but I might just skip it. I already missed first period which means they won't expect me in second," He answered as he fell into step with her.

Uma opened her mouth but the sound that came out, wasn't her voice. "Hey Harry," They heard.

Harry turned to who said it and noticed a group of girls on his side. He didn't recognize any of them but he loved the attention so he said, "Ladies," and winked. As they walked passed them, all they heard was giggles.

"Looks like someone is well known," Uma rolled her eyes as she continued walking. Shaking her head at all the stares she got from the girls they passed.

"Well, I am one of the most feared VK's on the Isle," He boasted as he smiled in her direction. Harry knew that he always got a lot of attention, but he never thought about it as people thought he was cute, he thought of it as people were impressed by him and wanted to be him. Harry was cocky in the way that he thought no one could beat him and people wanted to be him, but not in his appearance. All he knew was that he wasn't ugly and that was good enough for him. Being raised on the Isle meant feelings were a weakness so he never gave any thought about it. Yes he flirted, but he was joking...mostly.

"Sure you are Harry," Uma laughed, "But that's not what I meant."

Confused Harry turned to look at Uma and said, "What do you mean then?"

Not really thinking about what she was saying, she said, "Those girls like you."

Still confused Harry's said, "Exactly. Nothing wrong with that, you like me don't you?"

Uma's eyes widened and looked at him like he was crazy, "What?" She gasped, "No, of course not!"

Harry's eyes widened in disbelief and then narrowed, "I thought you said we were friends? Or were you lying to me?"

Uma now looked at him confusedly, "Yeah of course we are friends, I didn't lie to you. Why would you bring that up?"

"Because you said you didn't like me." Harry looked away from her suddenly finding the lockers more interesting.

Still confused, Uma said, "Exactly I don't. I don't have to like you to be friends with you."

"Why would you want to be friends with someone you hate? This isn't Boredon, you don't have to pretend to be friends with someone," Harry growled.

Not understanding why Harry was getting so mad, Uma grabbed his arm, which he promptly shook off. Seeing that he wouldn't let her grab him, she shoved him to the side of the hallway. He stumbled, shocked that she pushed him and before he could announce his displeasure, Uma said, "I don't hate you Harry! Why would you think that?"

"Because you said you don't like me!" He yelled, "And the opposite of like is hate!" Having enough of this conversation and needing a little time to pull himself together, he made to leave the corner she put him into but she blocked him. "Move, Uma."

"No." Uma said still blocking his way. "I think I get why you're acting like this. Harry..." She began tentatively, "what do you think "like" means?"

He rolled his eyes and he answered, "You don't hate them. What else would it mean?"

Uma laughed, "Harry..." she began, but cut herself off as she laughed again, "Hook..." she tried again but she couldn't get it out because she was laughing to hard.

"Why is that funny?" Having enough of her nonsense, he moved her aside and began walking towards the exit of the school. He didn't feel like being there anymore.

"Harry!" He heard but didn't stop.

"Harry!" Uma laughed again, "Hook! Stop!" Again, he ignored her.

Before he could make it to the exit, he felt a weight on his back that almost knocked him to the ground.

"UMA!" he yelled, "You've got to stop doing that!"

"Well if you stopped, we wouldn't be having this problem." As she hopped off him, she walked in front of him and said, "Now will you listen to me?"

"Will you keep laughing?" He replied.

"No. But as soon as I tell you why I'm laughing you'll feel really dumb."

Harry didn't say anything as he waited for her to explain.

"Harry, the word "like" also means "having feelings for them."

"Exactly. Not hating someone is a feeling" He crossed his arms, mad that Uma is trying to make him understand why she could openly hate him and still want to be friends with him. I mean who does that? The Isle is evil but what she's doing to him is just cruel.

Uma face palmed and sighed as she tried to think of another way to explain this. Finally finding the perfect way to explain to him she said, "Okay, since you are clearly not getting this, think of it this way. Like also means they have a crush on you. They think you are cute, they want to date you. You know, be more than friends."

Harry thought about what she said and nodded, finally understanding. "Well, why didn't you start off that way?"

Exasperated, Uma glared, "I DID!! You just didn't understand!"

He rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment, "So there are TWO forms of "like" okay, got it." But to clear things up a bit more he said, "So you don't hate me right?"

"No, Harry I don't hate you."

He smirked, "So what you're saying is you think I'm cute?"

"UGGHHHH," Uma groaned as she thought he still didn't understand. As she looked at him, she noticed his smirk and glared.

"Bye, Harry." She said as she turned away.

"So that's a yes?" Harry shouted after her.

"In your dreams, Hook." She shook her head as she entered her class smiling.

Hiya! Here's another chapter. I don't really have anything to say, I would love to hear about some ideas of what you'd like them to do next. I'm probably going to do a time jump soon but not too soon.  Anyways, thanks for reading!

-TheOnly