Chapter 1

Playlist ♪♫

"Fall in love with someone who doesn't make you think love is hard." - www.livelifehappy.com

Emerald's POV

BRAYNK!! BRAYNK!! BRAYNK!!

The irritating sound of the alarm clock woke me up at six a.m.

"ERGGGGH..." I groaned, covering my ears with my pillow, waiting for the alarm to stop and change to Shawn Mendes song, There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back, to play.

The song played and when the beat turned faster, I was wide awake and out of bed. I was dancing and singing on my way to the shower. I just love singing. Music is life for me.

After I showered for thirty minutes, I stood inside my two-story closet, with my arms clasped together under my chest and my foot tapping on the floor. I was wearing a white robe and a towel wrapped around my wet hair.

I heaved a long impatient sigh. I was there for nearly fifteen minutes trying to pick a dress but could not decide which one. "Ugh! I should go shopping. I don't have a dress to wear in the office anymore." I rolled my eyes and picked the all white business suit, with a thin shiny gold belt.

If you think picking a dress was hard, picking shoes was harder. Because it should match the bag. I spent another fifteen minutes picking among the choices. I settled on my white five inch stiletto shoes and white Hermès Birkin bag.

Doing my hair and makeup took me another thirty minutes. I wanted my hair perfect and my face looking so fresh and flawless, like that of a cover magazine. I had a room full of high end brands of makeups. Tons of foundations, concealers... eyeshadow palettes, contour kits, blushes, highlighters, lipsticks and others, to achieve the look I wanted everyday.

At exactly eight in the morning, I was already in the breakfast table with my parents and my fourteen year old sister, Crystal. The same time, I had with them almost every morning for the past twenty two years of my existence.

"Good morning!" My dad, Eros Petrakis greeted me. We went to the same office, at the Petrakis Building every morning and at the same time. We used to ride in the same car to the office, when I started working in our company six months ago. But after a month, I insisted to have my own car and driver. Why? Because he kept on asking about my private life! Who I was dating, if I have a boyfriend, who was that guy who commented on my Facebook post, the guy I had a picture with in my Instagram account and other things. He even played matchmaker between me and his business partner's son!

"Good morning." I anwered, kissing him, then mom and Crystal.

"Zion called early this morning. He said he has an important client for you this afternoon. Make sure that you're free." Dad said, after sipping his black coffee. From the look of his too dilated pupils, I guessed it was his third cup already. He just loved mom's coffee.

"He's back to work now?"

"Nope. They've just arrived. They're going to move Claire's stuff in his mansion today."

Zion was my older brother by five years. He just got married to his high school sweetheart, Claire. They've just came back from their three weeks honeymoon in Bali, Indonesia.

"Zion and Claire are having dinner with us tonight. Make sure to come home early, Emerald." My mom, Jade Petrakis reminded me. Therefore, I could not go to the mall after work. I was supposedly planning to go shopping for new business suits.

"Of course, mom." I smiled at her, and took a bite of kale.

"Emmie, why are you only eating grass?" Dad focused his attention on me again.

"Huh?"

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. You need energy to survive in the office. Eat a proper meal, with protein and carbs. You're so thin."

"I'm drinking a smoothie, dad." I answered. "This has all the nutrients I need in a day. Cucumber, apple, pineapple, tumeric, ginger, chia seeds... "

"That's not enough. Here, eat this." Dad put a sausage, egg and waffle on my plate.

Ugh! I hated it when he was acting this way again. He was treating me like a kid. I'm twenty two going twenty three soon.

I wanted to have my own apartment but my parents would not allow me. They could not trust me to be independent and responsible. Even during university, I was not allowed to study outside New York. They had fears that someone would take advantage of me, I'd get pregnant, I'd get into wild vices and other things. They were overprotective of me, to the point that I did not have my freedom.

It was really unfair though. Because Zion was a guy, he was allowed to study at Harvard Cambridge Massachusetts and got his own apartment. I always wanted to go to Harvard, it was my dream. But dad suggested Columbia University. It was very near the Petrakis Building, located at the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

"Do you know that President Barack Obama was an alumni there?" Dad kept on asking me. His other way of saying that I was lucky to be in the same school.

I have to admit. It did not take too long for me to love the school and the people in it. They amazingly gave the best education to their students.

___

I arrived in the office. As the car halted in front of the Petrakis building, I saw all eyes were directly looking at me. Watching my every move.

I entered the building and everyone became so quiet. Others greeted me good morning as I passed through the lobby, while the rest just stared at me. I went directly to the private elevator, heading to the twentieth floor, where my office was.

I have my own company. The Petrakis Gems. It started six months ago when I graduated university and earned my degree in business management. The business was my idea. I was always fascinated with gems. It gave me pleasure looking at beautiful sparkling lights dancing. Another contributing factor was, as a kid I dreamed of becoming a princess. I loved wearing different kinds of crowns.

In our jewelry manufacturing business, we used only the best gemstones and the finest metals in the world, crafted by masters of fashion jewelry making. All our collections were elegant and extravagant, mostly personalized. It exuded its own style and class.

I was very busy the whole morning. I did the things that I have to do in the afternoon so I could give the whole afternoon to the important client that Zion referred. I called Zion to ask him who it was, but he would not answer his phone. I called his mansion, it was Evita who answered. She said that the newly wed couple were sleeping. Ugh! It was eleven in the morning, and still sleeping?

I decided to go out for lunch, alone. I was hungry. Whenever I ate too much during breakfast, it made me wanna eat more. And now, I'm craving for lasagna. I want to eat in that new Italian restaurant.

My driver took me to the mall where the new restaurant was located. I was eating alone and enjoying my own company. After lunch, I dropped by at Starbucks to try the unicorn frappuccino. I was sipping it and leisurely walking out of the mall when suddenly a group of men pushed me aside.

I yelped when my drink spilled on my white blazer. "Hey! Watch it, will you?!"

"Sorry, miss." One of the men in dark suits apologized, looking at the ugly colorful stain on my suit.

"What's going on?" I asked him angrily. My hands went on my waist, facing him squarely.

"Move aside, miss. The prince is passing through."

**Don't forget to Vote and Share to your Wattpad friends here**