Chapter 18

Playlist ♪♫

"If you really love that person, learn to wait. Maybe you're not meant to be together today, but meant to be in the future." - Thedailyquotes.com/ Pinterest

Harry's POV

I tossed and turned on bed, couldn't sleep. I kept on thinking on Emerald. 

She always amused me. The way she looked heavenwards when she was thinking, the way she flipped her hair with her hand and every time she smiled... it tempted me to lean closer and kiss her lips. 

I thought about what happened earlier and it gave me goosebumps. She could get killed if the gas exploded! 

I heaved a long sigh. I did not care in the least if the cottage would turn to ashes, as long as she was safe. I would never forgive myself if something happened to her. She was my responsibility while she was in England. Her family trusted me to take care of her. 

I took my phone and played some app games, but still it wouldn't let me sleep. My mind kept on drifting to her. I checked the time, it was midnight. 

I fell asleep for barely a minute, when I heard someone shouted. 

"Aaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!"

It was Emerald. 

I rushed outside and bumped at her. She screamed again, jerking away from me. She looked so frightened. 

"Hey, it's me." 

"There's a ghost out there!" Her hands were shaking as she clasped my arm. "I heard a woman crying outside my window."

"Really?" 

We went to her bedroom and I switched on the lights. Emerald was behind me, clutching my shirt. I opened the window and looked down, but all I could see were dark landscape and outline of trees. "There's no one out there."

"I swear, I heard someone crying. Like she was looking for help."

"Did she talk to you?" I closed the window, securing the lock. 

"No! No. Of course not. I'd pass out if a ghost would appear in front of me." Her eyes widened. "But from her crying, it seemed like she was in pain... wounded."

I gave her a quick hug, comforting her. Her body was trembling, she was really scared. "Calm down. There's no ghost in here. I was only joking earlier."

I regretted joking on her. She was freaking out.I did not know she was this vulnerable. She always projected herself as strong, tough and independent.

"But, I heard her..."

"I believe you." I gave her assurance that what she said was true. "If you'll hear her again, call me. Okay?" I was ready to turn to leave her room but she stopped me.

"No... no... don't leave me, Harry. I'm scared." She hugged my waist from the back, not letting me go.

"We need to sleep, Emerald. It's almost one in the morning."

"We can share the bed. Please... I can't sleep alone in this room. What if she'll appear in front of me. I'd surely die!"

I looked at the bed, it was a queen bed. Sharing it was not a good idea at all. 

"No... no. We can't. I'm going back to my room. I have to catch some sleep. I'm going to Blake later to get us some food." I removed her hands from my waist, but she was tightening it. 

"You can't leave me alone here."

"Can't you see, we can't share a bed. I'm a man. What would Zion think if he'll know about this? That I'm taking advantage of you? And especially your dad? He'll kill me."

"Of course not. They'll think that you're such a nice guy, protecting me like a sister."

A sister? She's got to be kidding me. 

Her lips twisted. "But we won't be telling them, right?"

I looked at what she was wearing - a tight wonder woman shirt that molded her breasts and outlined her pointed nipples. Her cotton shorts so skimpy showing her smooth slim legs. Dammit. And she thought I could sleep beside her on bed without getting a hard on?

"I'll just stay with you until you sleep."

"If you do that, I won't be able to sleep. Please, stay with me. I promise, I'll make you a delicious breakfast. I have a special Gordon Ramsay recipe."

"Ah...now, that's scaring me. Just make sure you won't burn the cottage." I teased her.

It was really awkward being in bed with Emerald. She fell asleep easily and was snoring. I looked at her and chuckled. As a young girl, she was very stubborn. She always wanted to get anything she wants. If she didn't get it, she'd be angry and had tantrums. 

I remembered when she was really upset of me. It started when I went to their house to give her the huge Teddy Bear that, I owed as her late birthday present.

"It's almost your Senior's Prom, right?"

"Yeah, in a month. Zion told you?"

She nodded and asked curiously. "Did you ask anyone for a date?"

"Nope. I'd probably be going alone." I shrugged my shoulders. 

"I wish I could go to the prom." She said with a weak smile. 

"Don't worry. You will in the future. And you'll have plenty of guys asking you out." I teased her and she responded by twisting her lips. I did not know what came over me but I suddenly asked her. "Hey, would you like to go to the prom with me?"

Her eyes immediately grew big with excitement. "Of course! I would love to go to the prom with you."

But the Prom committee had an age limit in bringing a date to the prom. It should be sixteen and over. When I explained this to Emerald, she could not take it and got mad at me. Since that time, she avoided me. 

Zion told me that she'd get over it. But it took too long until such time I was going to leave for England. I asked her on Facebook messenger if we could talk, but she've just seen my message. 

The next time I'd seen her, was during Zion and Claire's engagement party. She looked all grown up and very beautiful. The attraction I felt for her was still there, but it became tenfolds over. But I was disappointed when she still avoided me. Every time I tried to go near her, she evaded like I had a contagious disease. So upsetting to know that she hadn't changed. 

**Don't forget to Vote and Share this story to your friends**