The Beginning

The year was 2012, and the NHL Draft in Pittsburgh was on its way.

A young girl of 18 was standing besides her best friend of four years, who was gawking around at everything. Emerson knew she was one of the top goalie prospects here, but with that she would probably end up going in one of the final rounds. She was a goalie after all.. and a girl. But maybe that brought an extra charm to her, made everyone want that interview after interview. She'd be one of the first females to do this besides Manon Rhéaume in the 90's. Emerson was hoping she'd make it even farther too. Most guys outside of the USHL leagues surprisingly knew who she was and made it their business to say "hi". It did help her to feel accepted in a world where she would have to play by many rules if she were to make it.

"Ah wow this is a lot." Kelsey sighed, "you're gonna get picked, right? I mean I know how good you are just..."

"I should be..." That fear almost kept her from attending, but if you ignored her gender then she really was one of the best goaltender prospects with an SV of .931. She helped lead her team to two Clark Cups and three Anderson Cups. They really were the best of the best in Tier I..

"Where do you think Bryce is?"

"Hmm," Emerson sighed once more thinking about her fellow- closest teammate. Bryce was lucky enough to have gone at 15th overall yesterday for the Senators, and she was beyond proud of him, "probably busy."

"Yeah okay.. what happens when you get drafted and like, I just awkwardly sit there?"

"I guess? I mean I'm sure you could make some friends."

"More like, look like some strange loner that hardly knows much about hockey just enough for her to yell at refs."

"Well it works!"

"I'm excited to sit though, all this media attention you get is tiring!" the darker skinned female was holding tightly onto her friend's hand; probably making the two look even more like a couple.

Emerson grinned up at her taller friend who had her straight hair bouncing from her shoulders as they walked in stride. She was thankful to have her friend here to support her in what could possibly be one of the biggest days of her life.

The two girls looked like lost snorkelers in an ocean of fish, the odd ones out. The Penguin's home arena was gigantic, utterly beautiful. To Emerson it would be a dream to play every day in a place like this. The felt so in awe so vulnerable descending down steps lower and lower into the "bowl".

The second round started the night. With every announcement and noise that rang made Emerson's stomach lurch. She felt her whole body on edge, twisted into knots not knowing what was going to happen. The nerves were almost too much, every second she felt the need to readjust her dress, check her phone for any possible messages.. The atmosphere, as lively as it may have seemed, was tense- the air heavy.

As each number got higher, a feeling in the young goalie's gut told her that it had to be time. As the clock began for the Pittsburgh Penguins themselves, the time flew and before she knew it...

"With the 3rd round, 83rd overall pick of the 2012 NHL Draft, the Pittsburgh Penguins select from the Green Bay Gamblers... Emerson Rousseau."

***

CAST

Emerson Rousseau

***

Sidney Crosby

***

Pete King

***

Kelsey Tremblay

***

Bryce Leonhardt

***