Twenty-Nine

Practice had finished and Emerson was getting out of her car as Sid pulled into the parking spot next to her. Even though he had insisted on driving her, she was more persistent about taking herself. Besides, he shouldn't have to drive extra amounts when she could do that just fine.

"Hey," Sidney locked his car and easily strode over to her. He was wearing a pair of jeans with a winter jacket and hat, much dressier than he normally was after a practice. When he reached Emerson he leaned down placing a kiss against her smaller lips, and at the same time locking their fingers together. Emerson's whole body felt weak at his touch, her insides feeling like they were on fire. She shyly smiled up at him with her cheeks tinted pink.

"Hi." Emerson stuttered out in return, "We going in?" for some reason she never struck Sidney as a PDA person; it never ceased to surprise her whenever he did that in public.

"I'd guess so." he gave her hand a small squeeze, a soft smile on his lips.

They walked hand in hand until they reached the restaurant, in which they separated as Sid held the door open. Emerson was sure it would be pretty easy to tell they were on a date, but if anyone saw them they needed to be in a convincing situation to say they were just friends. Just friends. That of course hurt Emerson, but she didn't realize just how much it killed Sidney too.

The server seated the two at a nice window spot, overlooking the river flowing near. They sat across from each other and as usual Sidney told her to order whatever. They had their usual back and forth about it, but like always the older man won it.

"I'll be paying soon." Emerson muttered looking through the menu. Surprisingly she didn't feel very hungry so she probably wouldn't order more than a chicken salad.

"Mm not on my watch."

Their waiter came over to get their orders. Lunch was going very smoothly, like every other time they'd go out to eat. The deli around them started to fill up, yet they still felt like it was only them. Emerson wouldn't have been surprised as one of these days someone recognized them- granted by this point someone probably already had.

The last few days Emerson had felt a pit in her stomach that she felt really taking away her appetite. She was just nervous she supposed. Her eyes were focused on Sid as he ate, the silence was almost deafening to her but she was sure otherwise it was comfortable. A lot was going on in her mind that she just wanted to ask.

"Do you really think us being together would get us in trouble?" Her voice was tiny as she asked Sid a question she had been wanting to for a bit.

Sid stopped eating, his eyes immediately snapping to hers, the air getting stale. She definitely caught him off guard.

"Honestly?" he didn't really know where to start. But he thought about this a lot so Sid collected himself within seconds to answer, "No idea really. I know it's not in any of our contracts, I'm not sure how it will be taken.. I'm just too worried about it reflecting poorly on you." she was his main concern in all this, "you know people would use it, may try to take away from the game... it just makes our jobs easier even though I know it sucks."

Emerson only nodded. She obviously really respected him looking out for her and doing whatever to keep her out of trouble and keeping their jobs playing hockey easier.. And she knew it wasn't like he was doing it to hide her, she knew how much he would love to get to tell more people. It was actually rather endearing seeing how he was with her,, Sid was way more than she thought she'd ever get. However that scared her a lot, they were such different people with different personalities and life experiences. If Emerson could get the chance to be with her boys back in Boston with drinks in hand.. she'd take it.