Five

Emerson closed the door of her new car that she got only a few weeks ago. She was exhausted since she could hardly sleep knowing about today. Receiving a text from Flower last night that Sidney Crosby wanted to meet up at the practice rink earlier made her whole night be spent with her tossing and turning. Within just a few minutes she was going to be meeting the best hockey player in the world. And more importantly, her captain... A guy she had always fawned over for years due to his legendary hockey skills.

There was far too much for her to be worried about. She was terrified of the judgment that could come from him, especially since he's known for being a more private person. At least Emerson had the rest of the teams approval; now all she needed it from was the three players who were at the world cup. Sidney probably being the one person she would be seeking it most from now that she already had Fleury's.

Emerson's feet seemed to scuff the slightly damp pavement as she dragged herself to the entrance of the practice arena. She had a coffee Pete brewed up for her in one hand, her phone in another, and a small duffel with clothes and random necessities on her right shoulder. If her whole body felt heavy now, she could hardly imagine what it would be like later.

The sky was still fairly dark, gray clouds slowly moving across, barely allowing any fresh morning sun through. The air was starting to grow colder with each passing day, filled with musk and a thin breeze. Fall really was right around the corner.

As she approached the entrance the athletes would take, she noticed a tall, built figure standing outside the door. The man was looking down at what appeared to be his phone. The sight made Emerson stop in her tracks, immediately she noticed this to be Sidney. Her heart beat felt like it was quickening, her voice already feeling trapped.

This right now was definitely a make or break moment for her. First impressions were important; and as she stood in sweats, a jacket, nikes and her long messy-wavy hair down; Emerson didn't think she was about to wow anyone.

It was Sidney's cough that tore her attention away from her thoughts as now she somehow only stood a few feet in front of him.

"Emerson, nice to see you." Sid gave her a bright smile, easily gliding over to her.

"Y-you too.."

"Let me take this for you." It was one thing to hear this man's voice through a screen, but another to hear it's kind dulcet tones, and the signature laugh that would go along with it.

Already Sidney seemed so kind, but still gave off those vibes. The ones where they know they're good, talented, important. He easily towered over her hardly taller than 5'4" frame. He was more thick, muscular so to say in person.

"O-oh you don't need to." Emerson couldn't argue though as Sidney took the duffel bag from her shoulder onto his own.

"It's my pleasure, nice to finally meet you." How in the morning could he look so put together? Emerson felt like she was hardly able to stand while he looked like he was ready to take on the day. His hair kept perfectly, freshly shaved.. this man really did keep to higher standards.

"You too!" Emerson had to quicken her pace to keep up with Sid as they entered the empty halls of the arena as soon as they were inside. His strides were much bigger and more confident as to where they were going, "Um, what would you like me to call you-"

"Sidney or Sid is fine. What about yourself?"

"Ems is what most people call me."

"Most people as in teammates?"

"I have an old nickname from college but I'm planning on dropping that.."

Sid cocked an eyebrow and a side smirk at her as he took a right down another hallway, "and what would that be?"