Nine

Emerson was all suited up and ready for the game. The lockeroom had a fairly strained feeling in it, though many of the guys were doing their best to keep it carefree. Any minute now they'd be walking out, and Emerson was excited for it because she wouldn't be sitting to the side. Coach Sullivan had already said what he needed to, even Sidney put in some words- while looking directly at Emerson. No one wanted to put any pressure on her, but today could either go well or not if she couldn't pull it together.

"Alright boys let's go!"

"Let's have a good game."

Emerson took her place behind Fleury as the team made their way out onto the ice.

Bright lights, loud noises- Emerson's whole body was filled with adrenaline the moment her skates hit the ice. It was now go time.

Emerson was on the whole game, her focus was killer. The roar of the crowed never seemed to phase her, it wasn't like it was home territory to begin with. Shot after shot was taken of her and it was like everything fell into place. Malkin and Cullen were able to score the 1st period, and Fowler of the Ducks was able to put a slapshot past her. All she had to do was shake it off, people scored, it was the game. The Penguins would go on to score three more goals, Geno would struggle with Cogliano for awhile. Each time back in the lockeroom Emerson stayed focused, not wanting much to be said to her. She wanted to make sure they won... When the final buzzer for the 3rd period went off, Emerson felt am excited buzz run through her as she had just won her first game in the nhl. She saved 32/33 pucks, a save percentage of .970.. for her first game in the nhl she was extatic. Nothing was wiping the smile from her lips as everyone crowded around her in celebration.

***

As soon as the game was over it was right to the plane. In about twelve hours they'd be facing the LA Kings, and Emerson's exhausted body was thankful she wouldn't be starting.

There was so much pride beaming off her as each teammate came to congratulate her. Every text and call she got only made her happier. Social media was all over the place, Penguins fans bragging about how she was going to be the next hot goalie. There was never a way to describe how a win felt, especially a first like this.

Sidney was actually one of the last people to say something to her, and it made sense why. He had pulled her off to the side, placed a hand on her shoulder and smiled down into her eyes, "I told you not to worry and let it just come to you. You did a great job out there today." Thinking back to his words made her cheeks start to heat up, surely turning pink. She was proud of herself. Then Sidney's other statement popped into her head, "I'm buying you a drink when we get back to Pittsburgh. No arguments." A one on one with Sidney like that.. boy was she already looking forwards to it.

Whatever time it was when they landed hadn't mattered to Emerson. All she knew is that they were in LA, at the hotel, and were being allowed to sleep as long as they wanted. Having a night(ish) game was going to be nice, not having to go practice today was even better. Emerson would have to spend time with the trainer she was told, to make sure everything was feeling and looking okay. Apart of her wondered why everyone was acting concerned like this when she knew how to play at a high level.. college proved it.

It was around 2 pm when Emerson finally woke up. Her body felt slightly sore as she went to move off the bed. She luckily had a few hours before she needed to report to the arena, and she was going to take full use of that. A huge part of her actually wanted to go back to sleep, but her phone signaling she got a text stopped her.

"You killed it last night! Give us a facetime call when you can that was exciting :)" -DJ

The boys back in Boston always had a lot of her thoughts occupied. She missed them, their antics, seeing social media of them was always hard. Granted she was having the time of her life with the Penguins, it was just different seeing guys she called family all together without her.