One

The streets of Pittsburgh were busy as everyone was heading home from work, rush hour. The sky for once was painted a beautiful blue unlike it's normal dimness. It definitely was fitting regarding the events that were taking place. But the young girl who had a hop in her step was taking all her surroundings in, knowing this was now to be her home. Her life seemed to be taking off in a new direction that for awhile she didn't think would get any better. The feeling in her chest, the lightness that made her want to go around and jump for joy. Feelings of endearment that were so strong a part of her wanted to have a good cry. It was overwhelming the more she thought of it.

Doing her best to hurry back to the hotel so she could relax was all she had on her mind... As much as the summer weather was enlightening and nice.. doing interviews on top of meetings with upper tier people was exhausting...

The summer of 2016 had been a crazy one for the Penguins, having finally won the Stanley Cup since 2009 and it made Emerson's life even better. Because we'll, she'd be going to a championship team.. But it also meant pressure as well..

Yet for Emerson Rousseau the last four years since she was drafted had almost been crazier. Being a female, the league was requiring her to go to college and compete in the NCAA's for the four years before being brought up. It was a fair deal, one that she could live with. It ended up being the best four years of her life, topping high school where she thought those memories would always be the most dear.

She was already missing Boston College though. She won two NCAA titles there, made a family even tighter than the one she had in the junior leagues. Countless nights in the "hockey" house (their version of a frat) were spent on video games, all nighters, flying lacrosse balls, and good laughs. Emerson was definitely missing those wild boys who were still on the team and the ones graduated as well. She'd be expecting visits knowing them with their random tendencies to do things on the fly. "Do, Don't Think" for some reason was the team motto.

But now that was all done, her fourth developmental camp was through, and her entry-level contract finally signed. It was out everywhere, the media had taken her three year contract and was running with it. Her followers on social media were skyrocketing and constant texts pouring in to congratulate her. It was hard for Emerson not to grin ear to ear with each day, waking up knowing she was achieving a dream she'd had for so long that at one point seemed literally impossible.

The twenty-two year old goalie was spending the next few weeks in Pittsburgh after finalizing the contract in hopes to find a nice apartment and finally get to meet the team. It would be difficult with all of them on their breaks, and most likely preparing for the world cup. That was okay though, maybe more time for her to get used to the atmosphere.

Swiping the key card through the lock, the door sounded open allowing Emerson into her room. She immediately threw herself down onto the hotel bed. Her whole body sank into the comfy mattress with relief rushing through her aching muscles. She then opened up her phone and started scrolling through Instagram, a past time she'd find herself doing without even realizing it.. immediately though she smiled seeing what had been posted by one of her closest friends,

 immediately though she smiled seeing what had been posted by one of her closest friends,