Two

The bright morning sun was peaking in through the slightly opened curtains, streaming into every edge of the room. The rays painted onto the rich cream walls inside. Though inside the luxury hotel bathroom was Emerson standing under warm water cascading down her body. The mirrors were completely fogged up, the steam starting to run out from under the door. The moment was relaxing..

Sitting on the sink outside the bathroom was Emerson's iPhone, with the screen constantly lighting up with texts from a groupchat.. from boys practically lost without her by their sides.

In college there was six of them living in a house together- Emerson, Pete, Finn, Cooper, Reed, and DJ. It had mainly been them, though DJ was the newest addition as a freshman, with many other guys in the loop as well. But the first two lines of the team were close, always doing a lot together asides from who lived with who. Now they were practically blowing up their former goalies phone, feeling that she and other graduates needed to be included into the teams chat; That it would give everyone some sense of normality.

The guys still on the team missed her already, she was like a sister that no female could ever replace.. and their new goalie? Well none of them were exactly fans, he talked to much but not in the right way.. With college move in day complete it was hard to see Emerson, Pete and Cooper's rooms get filled by other kids. Even being the teammates they handpicked for the "replacements", there was still that odd pang in their chest not seeing the familiar decorations in each room. All those boys would have to learn, just as much as Emerson, that things were changing. They tried to ignore it for a few years while they had her but now it was time.

Soon the rushing water came to an abrupt stop with the sound of a handle squeaking. Emerson stepped out of the bathroom with her wet hair pushed to one side and a towel wrapped tightly around her body. Absentmindely she went right to her phone, then proceeded to be taken back by all the missed messages.

Every single one brought a smile to her face. It was strange how much these people had an effect on her. In high school Emerson was fairly quiet, but had comebacks and roasts like to was nobodies business. She was one of the guys by such a young age that she practically was one. Then college came around and she became a tad more outspoken.

Emerson was content with the type of person she was so to say; always being that kid everyone wanted to be around. Especially groups of girls who always viewed her as "precious", and felt the need to coddle like she was years younger. It could always have been her tomboy stature, the way she wore her hair down hardly brushed with a baseball cap on top.. sneakers, boyfriend styled jeans, sports t-shirts, or shorts that closely resembled soccer shorts because Emerson hated booty ones. There was always something unconventional that people just seemed to like and respect about her.....

Her phone continued to light up in her hand taking away any thoughts otherwise.. Silencing the chat at this point would be futile.

"When can we come and visit??"

"We're expecting tickets to at least half the games!!"

"I'm gonna miss you mom :("

Those were hardly a portion of the texts, but just a bit that brought happiness to her heart. She scrolled through many more with a grin that couldn't possibly subside.. Having support all the way up in Boston (and other places) only helped to reassure her that this was the right decision. Everything she was doing now had to be worth it, she just needed to remind herself of that.

The thing was, as much as she wanted to be completely calm about her worries and thoughts, there was still factors that she would have so much to overcome. Ever since she was little, hockey had always clearly had male based fans especially in the NHL. Now the doors were opening to everyone, and she hoped to be a huge part in that too; but wasn't that the issue? There were people who couldn't see past the fact she was a woman and just appreciate her skills on the ice. The other big fear was that her officially coming up to the roster like this would lead to even more females- but if you asked Emerson she was sure that wouldn't be happening. This caliper, even college was at such a different level that you just can't begun to explain. It was exhausting at times, and she even thought she had it good as a goalie..