Fifteen

"Emerson!" a stern voice sounded behind the young girl as she went to insert her hotel key into the door. She was slowly becoming a wreck and probably everyone around her had been noticing it.

She looked to who called and of course it was Sidney striding down the hall towards her. She did her best to avoid everyone so she could make it back. Honestly she thought she was in the clear at this point, but she had been wrong, "Hey Sidney. Can I help you?"

"Tell me about him please."

"Who?" Emerson didn't want this conversation to take place. She was holding her hotel room door open and just wanted to go in to lay down.

"Don't-"

"-Sid."

"Just tell me." he crossed his arms. His eyes were narrowed onto her form making her rack with guilt. She turned around and headed into the room, and of course he followed. Sidney's presence was impossible to not feel when he was in a room.

"Why do you care so much?"

She heard his heavy sigh, "because I care about you Emerson. You're my teammate and clearly you weren't treated with the respect you deserve, by a man. And you're on a team with all guys and if there's something that-"

"Sid listen." the two stood only a foot apart in the room. Emerson was on the verge of tears and ready to end the conversation, "I was never physically hurt only emotionally. Things between us had been done for months and I could care less now. I'm upset Kelsey felt the need to blurt that out but please respect it. I'm fine I swear."

Sidney stood there with a frown on his face. The two were close yes, and he doubted she'd lie to him on this. He didn't want to think that he was privileged to know about her past relationship, but hell was he curious, "Okay."

"Is that it?"

"If you ever want someone to tell the whole story to I'm here. You shouldn't keep things in." His words felt harsher than normal and they were hitting her hard.

Emerson had gotten into arguments with teammates before. Sometimes they'd have to steer clear of eachother for a few days while it died down. It could come from a dumb comment made or them screwing up on the ice. But Emerson was level headed and it took a lot more than this to get her upset. She felt like things were slowly slipping out of her control. All it took was her best friends one comment, and now she felt like she was almost being over dramatic about it.

"Fuck I'm a mess..." she said in a whisper as she sat on the edge of her bed. She stared at her feet as a tear streamed down her cheek.

"Emerson..." of course he had heard. Sidney took that as his queue to go over to her and sit right there, "I'll listen if you want.."

"I can't spill this onto you Sid!" her voice was beginning to break.

"You're one of the calmest open book people I've met. Seeing you like this is out of character for you in these last going on three months I've known you. And I've helped out plenty of guys through much worse things. Having someone that doesn't know every aspect of your life like Kelsey or Pete listen to you, that may help."

"I-I guess."

"And trust me, as a spokesperson everyone looked to during the lockout... if I can handle that I'm sure I can handle whatever this is. And hearing my perspective as a guy could help you anyways."

"Trust me, you'll think the whole thing is stupid."

"I won't, at least not directed towards you if it's as stupid as you say." Sid wanted her to spill to him. This could allow him more insight into her as a person, into her life. Then she'd start to see him as someone she could go to more, he wanted to help.