Twenty-Three

Emerson was ready to see her teammates as she pulled into their parking area at the training facility. She was tired but felt that many of her troubles were laid to rest, finally. She felt more than good and ready to take on the rest of the season now that she had much needed time away, even for how short it was. Strange how a week can feel like an eternity away from something you love..

She tried to get into the complex quick, because she knew she'd be the last one there. This morning Pete had given her a difficult time getting out the door insisting she eat a proper meal. Normally she was always there at the perfect time, never this behind.

Pushing the lockeroom doors open in what felt like forever she was immediately greeted by stares then, "Well look who finally decided to show up!" "You're late!" "Glad to see you're alive after a week."

She awkwardly smiled as she went over to her place. She purposely tried not to make eye contact with anyone in fear it would lead her to Sid because of how nervous she was. On top of that everyone was more focused on what they were doing themselves. If Ems had arrived earlier than it probably would have given time for the two to chat.

It didn't take long for practice to start soon after.

***

"How was your week?"

Emerson was freshly showered and dressed and standing at her 'locker' checking through her bag when Sidney finally came over to her. Her wet hair was in a braid and the water was seeping into her shirt making her shiver. She looked at him, "fun! I'm really glad it happened. I just feel a lot better. It was super jam packed but that's OK."

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Did seeing all your friends help how you've been feeling these last few months?" Sid's concern always warmed her heart; the fact he remembered the things she spilled to him late at night meant something to her. He really was the perfect listener.

"Honestly yeah? I mean it felt like things were more resolved, I'm not sure. Though Kelsey isn't very happy that she had a business trip the exact same week." a petit smile grew on her lips as she thought about the massive rant her strong headed friend went on.

Sid chuckled, "I'm sure she wasn't."

"How was yours?"

"I doubt as interesting as yours but, nice. I mainly used it to let my body rest."

"That's always good. Kinda wish I had done that a bit more but oh well."

"You rested mentally, let's put it that way."

"Oh perfect."

Even having been separated for a full week with no contact, it didn't feel strained. Emerson was glad to be back in his presence.

Sidney was glad to see her looking so well though. At one point he almost sent her a text asking how she was doing but he decided against it. He knew not to suffocate her right now but he also cared. To him she was solely taking over his thoughts as he was starting to second guess himself the whole time they were apart. Those who think guys had all the confidence in the world when it came to everything were wrong, especially with women. They were far too complicated, even for a man almost 30 to figure out.

The Captain stood next to her deciding on whether or not he wanted to see if she wanted to spend time together. Maybe go for a coffee, he thought that sounded lowkey enough..

But it was the sudden sound of a phone ringing that made him pause his thinking,

"Hey what's up?" Emerson answered her phone giving him an 'i'm sorry' look. The conversation was quick. She only hummed responses with soft 'okays'. It ended with, "I'll be home soon."