Prey

The deer ran blindly through the trees, trying frantically to outrun his pursuer, nearly out of breath as the creature followed him.

    He paused briefly as he crested the hill, sniffing the air in confusion. The creature following him looked like a big cat, but smelled like... not a cat. Like something more frightening, and far more dangerous.

     As he prepared to bolt once again, the creature burst out of the brush, too near for him to escape. Finally , he realized that this was something that he did not know, but it was no less deadly for the lack of familiarity. His heart nearly burst from fright as the thing descended on him.

     It fed, and laughed as it did so. This was far from ideal, but it needed to recoup its strength before it could begin to hunt its preferred prey. Especially since it had been given such a singular opportunity.

     It had followed the humans who had freed it, and realized that they shared a dwelling with others of their kind, meaning that there were nearly a dozen, just waiting their turn to provide it with sustenance.

     It would bide its time, gaining strength from lesser creatures, then it would take them, one by one.

     But perhaps it would play with them for a bit first. That always made the food taste SO much better.