Watching And Waiting

It stood amongst the trees , hiding itself in the shadows , watching the dwelling where its prey resided . Several of them emerged and stood in the partially enclosed area at the back of the structure , talking , while one of them emitted strange plumes of smoke . 

      As it listened to the conversation , it realized that two of the humans weren't the ones who were there originally , and chuckled happily to itself . More prey was always welcome .

      When the male human with the growth on his face began speaking , it became uneasy , for reasons that it couldn't quite understand . He observed the human more closely , and felt something disturbing . 

       This one had power . He was dangerous , therefore he must be left alone , until the others had been devoured , and he had no one to aid him .

       After making this decision , it returned its attention to the conversation between the humans , and heard things that convinced it to risk using a bit of its power to probe their thoughts , to find their weaknesses . 

       Finally , it settled on one of them , whose thoughts were so close to the surface that it was surprised that the other weaklings couldn't read them . This one would be its next victim , and the kill would be effortless . It was almost a shame , when it was so easy .

       After making its decision , it retreated farther into the trees , waiting until the dwelling went dark , and they were all asleep . Then it would make its move .

        Then , it would feed .