Unexpected Guests

A / N : This is going to be a rather long chapter , everyone ! Hope you enjoy !   

 "Damn , this is getting nasty !" , Jake Wells stated , as the SUV once again attempted to slide across the highway .

      Diana managed to regain control , getting the vehicle oriented in the proper direction . As she did so , she replied , "It got nasty a couple of hours ago . Fortunately , we're almost to the turn - off . So if we go in the ditch , we can stay in here until the sun comes up , then walk to the house ."

      "And hope nothing gets broken ." , Alex contributed . "Or no one ..."

      When the DC news programs had started reporting on the blizzard warnings , there had been a brief discussion of staying in the city until after the storm had passed , but they had decided against it , opting instead to depart earlier . They were all aware that there were risks involved with travelling in the current conditions , but they felt that there was an even greater danger in delaying , and giving the demon more time to recover , and possibly harm someone else .

      They finally spotted the sign marking the private road , and Diana cautiously negotiated the turn . All three let out a relieved sigh when the SUV held the road without slipping , and Alex and Jake peered out the windows on either side as Diana worked to see through the heavy , blowing snow .

      "Looks like someone drove down this way not long ago ." , she announced . "There are tire tracks in the snow , just barely visible now ."

      "You don't think something else happened , and Potter and her guys had to come back , do you ?" , Jake queried , his voice betraying his concern .

      "If anything big had happened , Jenny or Crane would have called us , babe ." , Alex assured him . "But it is kind of str..." Her voice trailed off as she put her face nearer to the window , rubbing it with her sleeve .

      "Diana , stop !" , she suddenly shouted . "I just saw lights , over there , near the edge of the woods !"

      "Like a lantern , or a flashlight ?"

      "No , taillights ." , she answered . "Whoever was driving went off the road ."

      Diana carefully brought the vehicle to a stop , and all three got out , pulling on their gloves and hats as they did so . Peering carefully through the snow , Jake was the first to see what Alex had pointed out . "Over there ! It looks like they flipped !" , he exclaimed .

      "Jake , come with me and help me see if anyone is still in the car . Alex , call Crane or Jenny , let them know what happened and ask them to be ready for us to possibly bring injured people to the house ." , Diana said , reaching into the back of the SUV to retrieve the jack handle . "There's no way in hell an ambulance is getting in here today ."

      Alex nodded and retreated to the side of the vehicle , reaching for her phone , as Diana and Jake painstakingly made their way down the side of the ravine to the overturned Jeep . As they got closer , they could see that the occupants were still inside , although only the backseat passenger seemed to be stirring .

      As he looked inside , Jake saw a blond , bearded man looking back at him , and he asked . "Are you okay , man ?"

      "I think my shoulder's out , but other than that , yeah , I guess so ." , the man responded. "These two are out , though , and it looks like the driver may have a broken arm ."

      "Cover your face , if you can ." , Diana told him . "I'm going to break the glass so you can crawl out , then we'll get your friends ."

      Using his good arm , the man pulled his coat over his face as Diana swung the jack handle at the window . After the third attempt , the glass finally cracked , and she used the tool to pry it apart , allowing the man to work his way out , clenching his teeth against the pain in his shoulder .