Candid Conversations

Everyone stood in the kitchen , gaping at the thing attempting to claw its way through the thick wooden door . It stood a bit over three feet high , and was nearly as round as it was tall , with blank, staring white eyes , and a mouthful of thin , pointed teeth , reminiscent of a barracuda . It's skin was an unhealthy gray tone , and appeared to be rotting away , crawling with repulsive , maggot - like creatures . As it noticed them standing near the window , it let out a reptilian hiss and hurled itself yet again , obviously pained by the magical runes imprinted on the wooden surface , but undeterred from its goal .

      "That , Master CC , is a demon ." , Crane stated . "A minor one , by appearances , but a demon nonetheless ."

      "Minor or not , it still looks dangerous ." Jake Pitts observed .

      "It is . Maybe not as dangerous as the other one , but if you went out there it could definitely put some serious hurt on you ." , Jenny said . "And aside from the injuries , I won't even try to imagine what sorts of diseases or ... whatever you might get from one of those things ."

      As the bloated creature continued its assault on the door , Hawley said , "I've got something in my bag that might help , but somebody else is gonna have to do it , since my arm isn't in such great shape ."

      "What do you have , Master Hawley ?"

      "Crossbow , with a couple of consecrated bolts . Plus a couple more that can be loaded with chemicals or explosives ."

      "I think the first option sounds better . Too much risk with explosives ." , Jenny said . "Let's get on it ."

      "I believe that we should stay here and keep the creature in sight , Miss Jenny , just in case it manages to breach the wards ." , Crane announced , and then turned to the others . "Pray , tell me , are any of you skilled in archery ."

      Even Andy looked surprised when Joe raised his hand . "I've sorta been taking some classes , for an idea I had for my show . I'm no Robin Hood or anything , but I hit the target more often than I miss it ."

      "Excellent ! Now , if one goes upstairs , which room provides the best view of this area ?" , Crane inquired .

      "Our room looks out right over the porch ." , Alex responded .

      "Then , Master Flanders , you and Master Hawley should proceed there , while the rest of us move to the other window , to lure it into a more exposed position . Then as soon as you see a good shot , take it ."

      Joe and Hawley grabbed one of the flashlights and began to make their way upstairs , while everyone else , except Jenny and Alex , moved to the window at the opposite end of the kitchen , making sure that the creature saw them . As they stood the larger window , it screeched , and abandoned its attempt to claw through the door , making it's way to the window .

      The demon raised its arms above its head , displaying thin , crooked fingers ending in sharp , filthy - looking claws . Staring at them with its blank white eyes , it hissed again , and threw itself at the window , which brought it out from under the roof of the porch , out into the open .

      Before it made contact with the glass , something flashed past the window and struck the demon , knocking it off the porch into the snow - covered backyard . It began writhing in agony , making several unsuccessful attempts to remove the crossbow bolt , which had pierced its face , right next to its nose . As they watched , open - mouthed , steam began to billow from the wound , and it finally collapsed and lay still , then seemed to melt away to nothingness .

      From the darkness at the edge of the yard , where the cultivated area of Allan's garden gave way to woodland , came a shrill , rage - filled shriek . As they watched , an indistinct dark shape separated from the silhouette of a tree and dashed deeper into the forest .