Taking Action

Both men turned back from the door , and spotted a young girl forcing her way through the snowdrifts at the edge of the yard . As they watched , she stumbled and almost fell , and Crane vaulted over the porch railing into the yard . 

      "Master Hawley , please alert the others , while I bring the young lady inside !" , he called , and Hawley jerked the door open and went into the house . Pushing his way through the snow , Crane quickly reached the girl's side , and slid an arm around her . "Come along , miss . Let's get you inside and see how we might be able to assist you ." , he said , leading her toward the house .

      Through clenched teeth , she said , "Thanks . I was doing all right until I caught my foot on a stupid root and jacked up my knee again . Maybe if I can sit down for a couple of minutes and rest it , it'll be okay ."

      The door flew open again , and Yanni made his way off the porch , saying  , "Do you need a hand , dude ?"

      "That would probably be for the best , Master Yanni . It seems that the young lady has injured herself ."

      Yanni positioned himself at her other side , and he and Crane clasped their hands , forming sort of a cradle for the girl to sit in , and then the two of them carried her into the house .

      Faith stood in the kitchen , with the first - aid kit in her hands . "If you can get her up to the bedroom , I can help her get out of those wet clothes , and get a look at what she's done to herself ." , she stated , and they began moving toward the stairs .

      "No , wait !" , the girl protested . "I can wait , we need to get somebody to my house ! They killed Chester and Elvira , and Gwen's there all by herself and can't get out of bed , and I don't know where my dad is , a - and ...!" At that point , she burst into tears , making the rest of her words unintelligible .

      "Get her over there on the couch , and somebody needs to go up and grab one of my nightshirts ." , Faith demanded . "Then you guys can make yourself scarce for a couple of minutes while we get her changed . She can explain what's going on to Diana , and we'll holler when everybody's decent ."

      "I know she works for us , but right now I don't think I'd push my luck by arguing ." , CC whispered to Andy and Jinxx , who both nodded their agreement .

      Joe jogged up the stairs as Yanni and Crane settled the girl on the couch , and Diana crouched near her as Faith began removing items from the first - aid kit , speaking to her in a calm , soothing manner .

      "It's all right , sweetie , we're going to help you . My name is Diana , what's yours ?" , she inquired .

      "K - Katie . Katie Logan ." , she choked out between sobs . "I need somebody to find my dad , before that thing hurts him , too ! I saw the marks in the snow where it dragged him off , so what if it wants to do those awful things to him ?"

      Joe returned with a nightshirt and a blanket , and the men all filed out of the room , but stayed near the door , so they could hear the conversation . After the door was closed , Faith began removing Katie's boots and her sodden sweatpants , while Diana helped her take off her coat and sweater , and put on the nightshirt . As they did this , Jenny asked , "Who are Chester and Elvira , and what exactly happened to them ?"

      "Chester was my calf , and Elvira was our sow . And that thing killed them , it tore out their insides , and took Dad away . And I had to leave Gwen there alone , so I could try to call somebody ." , Katie replied . Then her eyes widened , and she said , "What if it comes back ? She isn't supposed to get out of bed , and both of our phones were dead . It might hurt her , too !"