You Can Go Home Now

The following morning, everyone gathered in the kitchen after waking, and Andy, CC, and Joe set about making breakfast, while Jon and Blasko drove into town to pick up Faith and Ashley at the hospital. Crane stood near the front window, gazing silently out at the melting snow, seemingly lost in his own thoughts, until Hawley walked over to join him.

      "You're not worried about this mirror thing today, are you, Shakespeare? Because we both know you've pulled off more difficult stunts than this."

      Turning to look at the other man, Crane gave a faint shake of his head, before glancing back out the window, once again beginning to rub his wrist through the sleeve of his shirt, almost unconsciously. "No, Master Hawley, today's ceremony does not cause me any excessive concern. There are always risks to such activity, but I am confident that we have prepared for whatever complications might arise. I have... another matter on my mind currently."

      "Does it have anything to do with that 'slight problem' you mentioned the other day? The one I told you I'd help out with, if you wanna clue me in?"

      "Indeed, it does. We have been hoping to find a solution for several weeks now, with no success as yet. And I believe that it would be best not to discuss the matter with the others, as I do not wish to frighten them unnecessarily." He looked around, to make sure that no one else was nearby, and then began turning back his sleeve, revealing the glowing pentagram which stood out on his arm like a brand.

      Hawley flinched at the sight, heaving a deep sigh as he raked his fingers through his unruly hair. "Damn, dude! Tell me that doesn't mean what it looks like it means! Why the hell would you do something like that, anyway?"

      After pausing momentarily to gather his thoughts, Crane recounted the team's dealings with Malcolm Dreyfus, the demon, Jobe, and Lara, who now held Abbie's role as the second Witness. He then explained how he had bargained with Satan to gain a piece of the Philosopher's Stone, which had allowed him to essentially cancel out Dreyfus' immortality, giving Diana the opportunity to fatally wound him, and allowing Jobe to claim the industrialist's soul to fulfill his contract with the Devil.

      "Well, it sounds like you've gotten yourself into something you really shouldn't  be able to get out of, as usual. So I guess it's a good thing I enjoy a challenge, isn't it?"

      "So you told him about our issue, I see," Diana's voice said from behind them. The two men turned as she stepped in front of Hawley. "You seem to be pretty knowledgeable, and you definitely don't run from a fight, so if you're actually serious about helping, I'm more than happy to accept on Crane's behalf."

      "I'll be honest with you, Agent Thomas, Crane and I used to irritate each other like you wouldn't believe, and I have no doubt that we still can. And probably will, under certain conditions. But in spite of that, I also know that he'll go up against just about anything to help someone who needs it. I basically owe the fact that I currently still exist to Crane and the Mills girls, so yeah, I'm in."

      Extending her hand to Hawley, she smiled, and said, "If we're going to be working together, you might as well call me Diana. Pretty much everybody does, except him, of course. And I seem to remember hearing you say that you generally prefer not to be called Nicky."

      He gave a rueful grin, and replied, "You remember correctly. The only person besides Faith who could get away with calling me that was my godmother, before..." He trailed off for a moment, then took a deep breath and continued, "Before she ... changed."

      "Hey, you guys, breakfast is ready!" Joe called out. "Better come get some before everybody Hoovers it up."

      As they walked toward the kitchen, Diana looked over to Crane and mouthed, "What did he mean, changed?"