Turning The Tables

Crane and the others scoured the books they had brought , in hopes of finding the information they needed to rid themselves of the demon . After nearly an hour , Jake Wells had exhausted his first stack of books , with no success . He got up from his chair , and walked around the room , stretching his legs . "What happens if we can't find the spell ?" , he questioned .

      Looking up from the volume that he was studying , Crane replied , "I have not yet abandoned hope , Master Wells . But in response to your inquiry , we would be forced to utilize the mirror ." 

      Hawley's head snapped up abruptly ."Mirror ? What mirror are you talking about ?" , he asked .

      Ashley snorted . "Dude , I don't see how you could've missed the ugly fucker . It takes up most of the dining room wall ."

      Joe turned to Ashley , saying , "We only went through the dining room to go to the basement . Besides , Crane covered it up last time , remember ?"

      Responding to the question , Jenny said , "Apparently , Reverend Horton's son was in the military , and he brought a gateway mirror home with him after he finished his tour in the Middle East . It's still in the house , so if we can't find the spell he used , we'll have to figure out how to get it out of Greg Horton's body , and back into the mirror ."

      "Well , why the hell didn't somebody tell me that before ? I found that incantation twenty minutes ago !" , he exclaimed , digging into the pile of books next to his chair , and pulling out a tall , thin tome , with a crumbling leather cover . 

      "Excellent , Master Hawley ! While that is not our preferred solution , it does provide a quite serviceable back - up plan , if we're unable to locate the spell that the good reverend utilized ."

      "What's wrong with that plan , anyway ?" , Andy interjected . "Get the bastard in that mirror , end of problem , right ?"

      Completing his circuit of the room , Jake Wells came to a stop next to Andy's chair . "Not completely . That would take care of our problem , yeah . For now , at least . But if it manages to locate another mirror , it could become somebody else's problem . Or , it might try to figure out a way to find us again , since we've been such a pain in its ass ."

      A rueful expression crossed the singer's face . "Okay , then . Back - up plan , gotcha ."

      "Guys , I think I've got something !" , Jenny called out , causing everyone's attention to turn to her . "This passage here talks about a two - part spell , which is to be used on a possessed individual . The first part binds it to a particular location , which makes it simpler for the second part to cast the demon out . It gives the name of the book , I think , but I can't decipher it ."

      Crane held out his hand , saying , "If I may , Miss Jenny ?" She passed the book across the table , and he scanned the page she had indicated . After a moment , he began rifling through the still unexamined books on the table . "Here we are !" , he announced , holding up a small , yet thick , book , roughly the size of a paperback , bound in a thin sheet of some sort of heavily tarnished metal . Opening it , he started scanning the pages , finally stopping about halfway through .

      He laid the book back down on the table , and the others gathered around , trying to see what he was indicating . The markings on the yellowed pages made no sense to most of them , but Jake Pitts  leaned forward to get a closer look , remarking , "That kind of looks like Russian , but not quite ."

      Crane raised his eyebrows in surprise ."You have a very good eye , Master Pitts . It is one of the precursors to modern Russian , from when the various cultures were just starting to develop their own identities , many centuries ago . Do you speak Russian ?"